Today I’m going to share with you an easy and unique way to perfectly customize a basic clock to match ANY room. The clock shown was made to match my daughters room and her custom dressers. I used the PixScan Mat technology to perfectly the size of the clock face and the placement of the numbers to eliminate any guessing. It saves so much time!
- A basic clock that can be disassembled. (I checked the back to see if there were any screws)
- Silhouette Brand Adhesive Vinyl in two coordinating colors
- Silhouette PixScan Mat (Buy the size for your machine)
Start out by dissembling your clock. I bought mine at a certain big box chain store for a few dollars, which means this is a inexpensive project. For mine I unscrewed the back, removed the glass front, carefully took off the clock arms and then peeled off the clock face. Afterwards I realized it would have been easier with a clock that didn’t have a sticker face, but I made it work anyway.
I then laid the clock face on my PixScan mat and placed it in my scanner. I have a CAMEO sized mat, which is much bigger than a standard scanner, but magical Silhouette technology makes it work!
To start the scanning process, you first click the little PixScan tab on the top left bar in Silhouette studio. The box shown above will pop up to the right and give you a few choices. I chose the scanner option, but you could also take a photo of the mat (which is such a cool feature). I just scanned in one side of the mat since that is where the clock face was, Silhouette Studio filled in the rest of the mat on the screen.
To start the design process I placed a simple circle around the clock face. Make sure it’s exactly the same size as the clock face. This may take some tweaking to get it right. I then also placed a circle over the middle hole and group both circles together. I duplicated this basic shape and put it to the side for later.
I then went through and picked out a round design that would look nice on the clock face. It was the Floral Flourish Circle Background design to be exact. I re-sized it until it looked nice. Don’t worry about the numbers getting in the way, You’ll be changing them soon enough.
I went very basic with the text style on this piece by using the Arial font. You could go super fancy with one of the Silhouette ready font files available in the shop too. I wanted smaller numbers to give the clock a daintier feel. To position them I just typed them out and moved each one to the center of the existing numbers. It looks like a mess now, but trust me, it will all come together soon enough.
Once I was happy with the placement, I went back to the PixScan option and clicked “Remove Pixscan Image”. What I was left with was the image shown above. Ignore the fact that the numbers are purple, originally I was going to sketch out the numbers on paper and then cut out the flower design. I didn’t do this because I realized I had some loose pieces and I’m not great with glue. However, if you like the idea and don’t mind glue, you should totally try it!!
To prep the design for cutting I went and changed the cutting mat to the CAMEO and moved the design over to the left. You can see that extra circle I placed to the side (though I don’t understand where the middle circle went. Maybe I accidentally deleted it?). From this point I went to the cut box and chose Vinyl as my material and continued on as I normally would. Please note that with Adhesive Vinyl, you do not need a cutting mat unless you are using small scraps. I cut the first intricate design out of Lilac Adhesive Vinyl, and then The large circle out of Purple Adhesive Vinyl.
To weed out all the unwanted vinyl in the intricate cut, I taped the design down to a flat surface and used the hook tool to remove all the pesky little pieces.
Then using the Silhouette Transfer Paper and Scraper, I carefully removed the design and placed it one top of the simple circle cut out of the Purple Adhesive Vinyl. I then just removed the entire piece from the backing, placed it on to the clock face and reassembled the entire clock! That’s it, it’s done!