Did you know you can use a printable pattern as a fill pattern? It’s true! And with over 2,500 printable patterns in the Silhouette Design Store, you are sure to find some that you love that you can use in countless ways. For this project, we decided to use this modern grid pattern to make a custom envelope. Here we go!
- Silhouette CAMEO® or Silhouette Portrait® or Silhouette Curio™
- Silhouette Cutting Mat
- 8.5 x 11 Card stock (white and pink)
- Glue or tape runner
- Design ID #210251
- Design ID #16844
Step One: Creating The Fill Pattern
- To start, open up your envelope design (Design ID #16844) in Silhouette studio. Resize your design to the size desired.
- Add registration marks for print and cut.
- Ungroup the envelope from the envelope liner which is included in the design.
- Move the envelope liner off to the side.
- Next select the entire envelope shape and hit upgroup again. With the shape still selected fill the shape with a color. This will allow you to see what needs to be connected.
- Select the bottom triangle of the envelope and hit edit points, second icon down from the top on the left side tool bar.
- Grab the far right red point and drag it up to the top to connect the shape.
- Repeat with the left side of the shape, selecting the red point and dragging it up to meet the top. Adjust any of the points so that there is no more white space visible.
- Regroup the entire shape together again, by right clicking and selecting group. Now your shape is ready to be filled with any pattern. (Note: Steps 5-9 are just for shapes that are not one solid shape. If your design is one solid shape, Skip steps 5-9)
- Open the pattern you wish to fill the envelope with (Design ID #210251). Size your pattern to cover the shape of the entire envelope. You can do this by clicking and dragging the corners of the fill pattern outward.
- Select both the shape and the fill pattern.
- Open the modify window and click crop.
Step Two: Assemble Your Envelope
- Now that you have your shape filled with the pattern, print out your design on the white card stock.
- Place your printed card stock on your cutting mat and cut out your shape. You will notice your machine begin to read the registration marks. This ensures that your design is cut properly.
- Using the colored card stock (pink), cut out the envelope liner. This was also included in Design ID #16844.
- Once you have both of your pieces cut out, it’s time to assemble your envelope.
- Fold the envelope along the scored lines. Next, glue in place your envelope and your liner and the envelope is complete.
Don’t miss out, this grid pattern is free this week only. Go snag it!