I gawk a lot about how much I love the variety of selection in the Silhouette Design Store. This design is a “Home Sweet Home” shape, and it’s adorable. So, go download it now! There are so many uses for a shape like this, especially around the home. but I chose to make For the steps on creating this Embroidery Hoop Wall Hang, the full tutorial is below.
Things you’ll need before starting:
- Silhouette Smooth Heat Transfer Material
- Embroidery Hoop
- A CAMEO or Portrait
- Silhouette’s Hook Tool
1. Download the free shape from the Silhouette Design Store.
2. Size the design to fit your project. I put the shape on a 7.75 in circular embroidery hoop, so to size it correctly I simply made that size circle in studio as a guide.
3. With your design selected, in the Replicate Window choose Mirror Right.
*IMPORTANT: DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your design will come out backwards.
4. With the shiny plastic side down, load your Smooth Heat Transfer Material right into your CAMEO or Portrait. (Yes, mat-less cutting!)
5. In the Cut Settings Window choose Heat Transfer Material (Smooth) and physically change your blade to fit the recommended settings.
6. Once you have your cut settings situated, you can now send your full design to your CAMEO or Portrait to cut.
7. After your design has been cut out, you’ll want to use your Hook Tool to weed out the parts of the image that don’t belong until only your design remains.
8. Set your iron to a typical cotton setting (or refer to your Silhouette product packaging for different material instructions). With the fabric you plan to adhere your design to on the ironing board, you can place the cut design in the location you have chosen on your fabric. The plastic side should face upward and your design should appear the correct way and not look mirrored anymore With a thin cloth separating your design and the iron (I use an old t-shirt), press and firmly hold for 30-60 seconds. Again, some parts may adhere quicker than others, so repeat this step until your entire design has transferred to your fabric. Peel back the plastic backing and there you have it!
I then put my fabric back centered inside my embroidery hoop and trimmed the extra fabric away. I’m thinking this may eventually make it’s way to being used as a door hang on our apartment door to welcome us home each day, but for now it will hang inside instead. How will you be using this sweet little sentiment in your home?