We celebrated my mother-in-laws birthday a bit late this year (shame, shame), so I had to make a special treat to make up for our lateness. Not only was this my first attempt at an ombre cake, but I think this is the best, most cutest cake topper I’ve ever made. No kidding. I was so excited to finally try Silhouette’s double-sided adhesive, and boy is this stuff the coolest. My glitter letters turned out super crisp, and the glitter clings to the adhesive like its glitter life depends on it (because who wants to eat glitter with their cake).
To make this ombre inspired cake topper:
- Simply pick one of the seriously cute banners from the Silhouette Design Store (I used the build a banner set), and select your favorite font.
- Once you’ve cut the banners from various shades of card stock, it’s time to use the, oh so nifty, double-sided adhesive. Choose your favorite party phrase (HOORAY, OH HAPPY DAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHEERS, etc.) and cut the letters sized to fit in the middle of each banner.
- Follow the directions on the back of the double-sided adhesive for application, and once your letters are in place, it’s time to pull out your favorite color of glitter.
- Now comes the super fun part. It’s time to glitter, glitter and glitter some more, until your letters are completely covered in glittered goodness.
- I strung my banner from two bamboo skewers, using a bit o’ bakers twine, and added some gold tassels for extra pizazz.
Viola. A pretty cake topper for an equally as pretty cake.