Tis the season to be tastefully tacky in time for a good ol’ ugly holiday sweater souiree. And what better decor than ugly sweaters themselves? A mini paper garland version, of course! With access to the Silhouette Design Store, and your CAMEO or PORTRAIT, recreating holiday wear has never been so simple, or fun. I have also fallen in love all over again with Silhouette’s Double Sided Adhesive and glitter after this project.
To make your own:
1. I started with the Stripped Sweater Design shape as a base for my sweaters. From there, I used the knife tool to slice and dice the sweater shape in various ways to create separate pieces. Once you’re happy with your shapes, set up a sheet of multiple shapes per page.
2. Cut your sweater shapes out of various cardstocks and patterned papers, as well as out of the double sided adhesive. Be sure to change your cut settings as you change media.
3. In a separate file I set up different print & cut holiday designs to print on Printable Cotton Canvas and use as decor for some of the sweaters. I love the texture and ‘sweater’ feel it added. The printable canvas is also adhesive, so you’re pretty much printing canvas stickers. How cool, right? Be sure to grab the free “December 25” design from the Online Design Store.
4. Another one of the main ways I spruced up each sweater and gave them that extra “tacky” touch, was by adding glitter to various parts of some sweaters. Through the magic of Silhouette Double Sided Adhesive, the process was easy! The colors in the bold glitter pack are perfect for the holidays, and though the containers are small…there is PLENTY of glitter. The excess can be dumped back into the container, so barely any is used.
To adhere glitter, cut the same sweater shapes out of the Double Sided Adhesive Material. Once cut, it will create a double sided-tape shape; one side adhered to the cardstock, and the other to adhere glitter to. With the glitter I did some full sleeves, some cuffs, neckpieces as well as varied stripes.
5. To bedazzle the sweaters even further, I tested out the rhinestone setter for the first time ever and can’t believe I have waited this long! You guys, it heats up the rhinestones, which come with adhesive on the back. With the heat from the rhinestone setter, the adhesive softens, adhering the rhinestone perfect in place without the use of glue, tweezers, etc.
Play around with it and have fun! I caught myself at times being all …wait, this is ug…oh. right. The whole point is to create adorably ugly sweaters to adorn your next holiday bash! Even better, extra point for imperfection. It’s a win before you even start! I even accidentally ripped an antler off the poor reindeer…and left it. Ha!