Simple Saturdays :: Vinyl Decor

Hi there! Are you ready to get crafty today? I have a simple home decor project that, with a little help from my CAMEO and a 9″ roll of vinyl, came together in just minutes.

I made this cute label for my pantry door using just the fonts I have on my computer. {If you haven’t already come up with an idea for the weekly shape challenge, this project fits the requirements this week!}

To get started I opened Silhouette studio and used the text tool to type out the word ‘pantry’. Sometimes I know exactly what font I want to use before starting my project, but for the times I don’t, I start by typing the word in the default font. Then, before sizing it or making any changes to it I select the word, then click on the first font in the text style window and press the down arrow key on my keyboard to scroll through the font list. As it scrolls through the fonts it will change the word I’ve typed to the font so I can see what my specific word will look like if I were to use it. So, I just scroll until something jumps out at me. This time it was the Lavanderia font, which is one of my favorite scripty fonts.

Then, so that the word cuts out in one piece instead of individual letters, I adjusted the character spacing so the letters overlapped slightly, opened the modify window and selected weld.

Then it was all set to be resized and cut. Once the word was cut out, I removed the excess vinyl and used the transfer tape to apply it to the door. Transfer tape is life saver when it comes to applying vinyl, especially words and phrases. It transfers it to the surface just as it was cut out so I don’t have to worry about lining things up, or trying to get the spacing right. I’m a fan!

Then, I used the scraper tool to smooth it down, making sure all of the little pieces adhered nicely and carefully removed the transfer tape. Super easy, and I love the results!

I hope you get some crafting time in today so you can give this a try!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

22 thoughts on “Simple Saturdays :: Vinyl Decor

1. Erika says:

SO I am moving next week and the best thing about moving is decorating.. I have a pantry door that is screaming for this! SOOO excited.. what font is that? I love it

2. KimberlyO says:

I love that Lavanderia font! I did a search and found it here for free: http://markwilhelm.ca/free-font-lavanderia/

1. jintyoo7 says:

Thank you, I was going to do a search….until I saw your wonderful reply to Erika :)

3. SammyD says:

I recently went bananas in our house with vinyl! I love, love, love everything I did from wordart in the hallway to labeling the bathroom and toilet doors. Link to my blog post here if you’re interested… http://scrappindigikreations.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/gone-vinyl-crazy.html

1. Caryn S says:

Great ideas! Left you a comment.

2. SammyD says:

Thanks Caryn :)

4. jintyoo7 says:

PERFECT!! I also like the green wreath too ….really like :)

5. Super cute idea. That’s What She Said sent me over here. thanks for the giveaway!

6. Kathryn says:

Very classy – I love it! I have put vinyl labels on all of my spice jars and baking canisters.

7. What a lovely touch to your beautiful pantry, Jeana! And thank you so much for letting us know which font it was, no wonder it’s one of your faves. It’s gorgeous!

8. I Love Love the tip for picking a font. You made my day, week and month!!!!

9. Kim says:

I do not own a machine yet. I am looking at purchasing the portrait. However, I have a question…probably a silly one.

I want to make what will amount to a picture… 20″ wide by 16″ tall.
    I want to put a name on it in vinyl… the name could potentially be almost 20″ long, but probably not taller than like 4″ – 5″ tall.

Can the portrait machine handle this?

Hi Kim,

If it isn’t more than 8″ high, it can definitely do the job. It can cut up to 10′ long.

2. momtutor says:

Kim, how do you get it to cut longer than 12 inches? I can’t figure out how to get it to cut anything that is outside of the mat display

You can change the size of your page, or cut area, by manually entering the width of your project in the page window. I like to add a couple of inches to the size of I want my finished project so it isn’t too close to the edge. Hope that helps!

10. kathy says:

how do you install a font into the silhouette studio program. such as lavenderaia? i want to cut out “welcome” in vinyl with this font, however i don’t know how to install it into the program!

thanks for any help!

Once you have downloaded/installed any font to your computer, close the silhouette studio program and open it again. You should see new font listed in the text style window. :)

I would like to know how to download the fancy fonts to please..does anyone know how to do this please?

Good day
    I Have a Silouette Portrait and a Cameo cutter, can it cut vinyl longer and broader that 12″. I do not know if i understand it correctly but if a roll of vinyl is 10″ long it should cut a project of the same length. Please Help!

it can cut as wide as 12″ and as long as 10′. To change the size of your page in Silhouette studio, go to the page window and enter the length of your project as the ‘width’. Hope that helps!