Simple Saturdays :: Small Notecard

Hi there. Welcome to our new series ‘Simple Saturdays’! We are excited to be able to share an additional project/tutorial with you each week. Each Simple Saturdays post will include a project or technique that is just that… simple. Something you can complete when you are feeling crafty but don’t have a whole afternoon to devote to a project.

Today’s project is a quick little 3″ x 3″ notecard,  perfect for using up some of my spring colored washi tape.

To create this card…

First,  cut a 3″ x 3″ card base.

Then,  add strips of washi tape to the front of the card. {if you don’t have washi tape, strips of your favorite scrapbook paper would work great too!}

Next, in Silhouette studio use the rectangle tool to draw two squares. One of them at 3″ x 3″ and the other 2.75″ x 2.75″. Then, open the heart shape and resize it to 2.135″w x 2.150″ h.

Next, select all 3 shapes, open the align window and click center.

Now for creating the faux stitches…  Once the shapes are centered, select the smaller square, open the line style window and select the 2nd dashed line from the menu.

Then, select the large square and the heart shape, open the Cut Style window and select no cut.

Next, place a small piece of cardstock on your mat and load it into your CAMEO. Then,  replace your blade with the bright pink sketch pen from the sketch pen starter kit.

Back in Silhouette studio, open the Cut Settings window, select Silhouette Sketch Pen from the menu and click Cut.

Once it is sketched, replace the sketch pen with your blade. {between sketching and cutting, be sure that you don’t unload the mat so that the cut lines will match up correctly with the sketch lines}

Then, in Silhouette studio open the Cut Style window, select No Cut for the dashed lines and Cut for the large square and heart shape.

Next, open the Cut Settings window and select textured cardstock from the menu and click Cut.

Once the shape is cut, remove it from the mat and adhere it to the front of the card…and done!

Because they are so simple to create, you could make a few of them at a time and bundle them together with some cute ribbon or twine for a sweet ‘thinking of you’ gift for a friend.

Or, if you are feeling more home decor, than card making today, the same technique on a larger scale would be adorable as framed art for spring.

Happy crafting!

Shape:
assorted hearts set

40 thoughts on “Simple Saturdays :: Small Notecard

1. Those are super cute! I really need to get some sketch pens soon. I know they would be a blast to use. And with my new collection of washi tape, this card would be way easy. :) Thanks. All sorts of shapes including a “thanks,” or “Happy Birthday,” would be cute with washi tape underneath. All the possibilities!

Thanks, Lynette. I like your other shape ideas! Might have to give them a try :)

2. Erika says:

SOOO clever.. I am telling you– the more I learn about my silhouette the more I love it.. THANKS for the idea.. I am so making this for my hubby TODAY!!!

Good to hear! :) I bet he loved it!

3. Cute…now I just have to re purchase all those pens I sold because I hadn’t ever used them! lol

Thanks, Kathy! There are some super fun new colors coming out with the new starter kit too. :)

4. Elaine Young says:

Going to make this later! Too cute!!

Thanks Elaine! :)

5. quilt4fun2 says:

Very cool and you could have the heart cut out and have a positive and negative for 2 cards. Clever idea for quick notes.
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

6. Elaine Young says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

7. Annette says:

wow great card..I hope to try the color soon..

Thanks Annette. :)

8. Lori Aragon says:

I think I might have to give the sketch pens a try! I love this card… and great tutorial!!! Thanks :)
    Love and blessings, Lori

Thanks Lori. They are lots of fun!

9. oscaralley says:

Cute card. Is anyone having trouble with silhouette studio since the recent upgrade? My program keeps freezing up and it hasn’t done a print and cut right since.

Thanks! :) If it is still freezing up on you, our customer support team would be happy to help you get that taken care of. You may contact them at support@silhouetteamerica.com.

2. My print & cut works much, much better with version 2.7.4 (perfectly, actually) and I’ve heard that complaint a lot with 2.7.6. Definitely let Sil Support know so they know how widespread the problem is.

10. SammyD says:

Just finished my version of the notecard… so quick and simple, plus I used my sketch pens for the first time! Thanks Jenna!

1. SammyD says:

…and just in case you’re interested here is a link to my blog post: http://scrappindigikreations.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/simple-notecard.html

Super cute! I like your pop up heart inside the card :)

11. Trish says:

I too am very excited about Simple Saturdays! This debut tutorial is great. I am going to put those sketch pens to work today. Thanks for this educational blog- I love learning more about my Silhouette!

So glad to hear Trish! :)

12. Thank you so much for this new series. Always looking for new ideas and I love Washi Tape so this is a great one!

13. jintyoo7 says:

Great idea, love the use of the washi tapes, however I never had much luck with the sketch pens and relegated them to the back of a drawer :( Do the pens dry out at all?

Oh…if they aren’t working right, customer support might have some tips and would be be happy to help. {we want you to be happy with them! :) } You may email them at support@silhouetteamerica.com

14. Leigh Harris says:

These are so cute! I can’t get over how easy they were! (Plus I used old tutorials to figure out the techniques I didn’t know about before, which was awesome!) I assembled little 3×3 envelopes for each card, matching the pink sketch pen….this must be the cutest stationary set I’ve ever seen!!

Sounds cute Leigh! :)

15. Oh how fun! Had to give this one a technique a try too-You can see my card HERE

How cute is your card! :) The bright colors and scallop border are perfect.

16. Thanks for the great fast card idea, and I’m excited to see the addition of a Saturday post. I love this blog!

17. Lea says:

Love the new series! Always love to see new, quick craft ideas!

18. spatch says:

Great idea ! Like learning new techniques with fast and easy projects. Follow your post all the time. Keep up the good work!!

19. spatch says:

20. In the photo of your mat and paper inside the silhouette, I see you have the left side of the mat on top of, and overlapping the raised guide on the silhouette. I’ve been lining the left edge of the mat up with that guide, can you please tell me if that’s incorrect and the left edge of the cutting mat should be to the left of that raised guide? Thank you so much!

Hi Debbie,

You are correct in that the left edge of your mat should be aligned with the first small raised line on the Silhouette. The line you are seeing in the photos through the mat is actually the 2nd raised line. So, what you are doing is perfect :)

21. I’m loving that orange washi! Can you tell me what brand that is?

Hi Julie, It’s by American Crafts.