Love Notes : Offset & Welding Tutorial

I moved recently, and last week while I was unpacking boxes a little note fell out of one of my books. It was a yellow sticky note that had obviously been there for quite a while because it had lost it’s sticky. In messy handwriting it had “I love you” written inside of a heart. It was a fun little treasure to find,  placed there a lot of years ago by someone hoping to brighten my day when I saw it. It worked. :) With Valentine’s Day just a little over a week away, now is a good time to hide little love notes, in a favorite book, coat pocket or lunch box. {not that a holiday is necessary, just good timing!}

They don’t have to be anything fancy, but using the Silhouette is a little more fun than your average sticky note…

To create mine, I opened the heart shape in Silhouette studio, sized it and then opened the offset window.

With the shape selected I clicked ‘offset’, changed the offset distance to .170 and selected corner. Then, clicked apply.

Once the offset shape was created I duplicated it, and placed it off to the side of the mat to use later.
Next, I selected both heart shapes, opened the modify window and selected ‘make’ under Compound Paths. This takes the two shapes and combines them into one.

Then, using the type tool, I typed “love” over the top of the heart shape and resized it so that the ‘l’ and ‘e’ overlapped the heart border. You will also notice that the letter in ‘love’ are slightly overlapping. The font I chose did this automatically, but if you have a font that doesn’t, use the down arrow key under ‘character spacing’ until the letters are slightly overlapping.

With both the word and the heart border selected, I opened the modify window and selected weld from the menu. The word and heart border were then connected and would cut out in just one piece. I repeated the steps and created others using a rectangle shape too. Then I cut them out of teal cardstock.

Once I cut out the love shapes, I moved the extra heart shape I created in step 3 back onto the mat, duplicated it and cut it out of white cardstock. Adhered together, they make for the perfect little love note.

If you use divided sheet protectors for a Project Life type scrapbook… you can use this same technique in making cards with important dates, titles, days of the week etc.

Happy welding!

3 mason jars {heart shape}

47 thoughts on “Love Notes : Offset & Welding Tutorial

1. Annette says:

awesome…thanks for sharing..

2. Jenny says:

Precious! I know this is a silly question but I’m a newbie. How the heck do you adhere your stick-thin shape (in this case, the blue “love” heart) to the background? I made a birthday card over the weekend and it was a glue disaster. I know there is a trick that I just haven’t learned yet. Thanks for your help!

Hi Jenny! I use a Zig 2way glue pen with a chisel tip. It works great for tiny details :)

3. Amy says:

What am I doing wrong? I get to the last step, click select all and then weld under the modify window and everything but my original shape disappears!

Hi Amy, It is hard for me to say exactly without seeing your file. But, the only thing I can think would be that the original hearts weren’t made into a compound path before adding the text? Let me know if that works.. :)

2. Amy says:

I think I figured it out…I don’t think both the original and offset were selected when I was making the compound path. Not sure what I am doing that it wasn’t selecting both shapes but now I figured it out. Thanks again!

You are welcome.. glad it worked out!

4. That is such a pretty font! May I ask which it is? Thanks for the great tutorial

1. Lacey says:

I would love to know what the font is as well. Thanks!!

The font is Lavanderia Regular.

5. love this. thanks for the instructions.

You bet! Thanks for following :)

6. AmyP says:

Thanks for the tutorial. You made it easy to do! I love your cursive font. I can’t make it out on your screen shot. What did you use?

1. Jo says:

When I zoom in on the screenshot, it says Lavanderia Regular.

7. Is the heart shape bought or did you draw it?

I forgot to include the shape, sorry about that! It is the heart in the 3 mason jars shape http://www.silhouetteonlinestore.com/php/?page=view-shape&id=27990

8. Rachel O. says:

Can I please get a Silhouette so I can make cute things like this?! Haha. One of these days I’ll buy one… I’m just crossing my fingers that I’m able to win one on a blog soon!

9. LuLu says:

Hi – I’m curious about the heart shape as well. Which file is this? Thanks!

I forgot to include the shape sorry about that! It is the heart in the the 3 mason jars shape http://www.silhouetteonlinestore.com/php/?page=view-shape&id=27990

10. Unknown says:

Many thanks ! I’m french, I don’t speak english very well….but I understood everything, i wanted to say you that your explanations are very clear especially with the photos ! Best wishes ! Elisabeth

You are welcome! Thanks for following :)

11. This was so inspiring that I went home and made some of these hearts myself. I’m so glad I know how to weld stuff together the right way! I didn’t really know how before this tutorial. Thanks! :)

It kind of opens up a whole new world huh? :) Have fun!!

12. EmilyTheChef says:

Cute and timely tutorial, thanks for sharing! I’m having trouble knowing when or why to group objects vs when to make compound path. Any words of wisdom?

Hi Emily,

I think it is different depending on the shape you are using, but some of the things I use compound path for, rather than grouping is when I am using it for print and cut and want to color it in, like the heart border in this post. If it was grouped together and I tried to color it in, it would fill the entire shape with color, rather than just the border. {if that makes sense?} I also do compound paths when I plan to weld shapes/words together. Otherwise for easy moving, or to keep the shapes in place in relation to each other and regular straight forward cutting I just group them together. Hope that helps! :)

13. Angela says:

Thank you for this great tutorial, I never realised I could combine the shapes under Compound Paths like that! Duh me!

14. Betsy says:

Thanks! I followed your tutorial and made my own. I will be slipping them into my grandaughters books today.

What a fun surprise :)

15. Betsy says:

Here I am again! I really like the font you used. What font is it?

The font is Lavanderia.

16. Francisca says:

The font can be downloaded here: http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=lavanderia

Thanks for this awesome tutorial! Been looking for a cursive font that sticks together :)

17. When I try to weld my letters disappear. Any thoughts what I’m doing wrong.

18. CJG says:

I can get this to work when I use a font, but when I try it with a flower (I tried it with “detailed flower 1″ and “flower 1023″), the inside details of the flower disappear. Once I had the outside shape (I used a circle) set (offset and make a compound path), I tried to weld the flower to it. It didn’t work. Then I tried to make a compound path before I welded the flower and the circle, but that didn’t work, either. I’m sure it can be done, I just must be missing something!

1. CJG says:

I may have just figured out a “work around” to my problem. I made the circle, then did the offset and compound path. Next, I ungrouped the flower shape, selected the outline, dragged it to the circle, and welded it to the circle. Then, I grouped the remaining bits of the flower shape and dragged them into place inside the flower outline. It looks like I want it to, but I’m not sure if it’ll cut like I want it to. Seems like there should be an easier way, but if not, and it cuts like I hope (it’s 10 pm EST in the middle of a blizzard here, so I’m not setting up my new Cameo tonight), then I’ll be happy!

2. CJG says:

And, I just did a slight modification to my “work around.” I dragged the whole flower into the circle before I ungrouped it. Then, I selected the outline of the flower and welded it. Then I grouped the entire thing together. I’m saving this version, and if the power doesn’t go out overnight, I’ll try cutting it tomorrow!

3. Unknown says:

Make the flower a compound path also then weld the two images together…

4. Unknown says:

Make the flower a compound path also then weld the two images together…

5. CJG says:

I tried that, but it didn’t work- the inside of the flower still vanished when I welded it to the circle.

19. EmmaJ says:

This is the coolest thing I have learned to do on my Silouette and I have owned mine for over 5 years! Thank you!

A couple of questions from a Silhouette newbie…1) is there an easy way unweld the word “love”? I welded everything together and realized that I wanted to adjust the spacing on the word, but don’t know how to do this without starting everything from scratch. 2) I want to try making this heart with my daughter’s name. Is there a way to simply modify the original heart with the word “love” Or, do I have to start all over? Again, I’m wondering if there is a way to unweld the artwork. Thank you so much!!

Once you have welded something there isn’t a way to unweld. But, if you haven’t saved your file, you can use the undo button at the top of your screen, so that you don’t have to completely start from scratch, just click undo until you’ve got the heart without the love :) Hope that helps!

21. Renee says:

Hi there, I log on to your new stuff on a regular basis.
    Your humoristic style is awesome, keep up the good work!

22. H says:

Thank you, I’m a total newbie and have learnt lots following your tutorial, just in time for Valentines 2014.

23. Miranda says:

Thank you so much for this. I am new to making my own designs and was “worrying” how to set up to cut out in this way

24. Anke says:

Question: when I try to weld, my words disappear… When I overlap them more with the border, it only keeps the little part outside the basic shape (heart in your example). Who knows what I might be doing wrong?

1. Jeana Goodwin says:

Hi! There are a couple of things you can try.. first, be sure that the letters themselves are overlapping each other, each letter needs something to weld to. Next, be sure that the basic shape border is a compound path and that the letters are overlapping them so it has something to weld to as well. Try giving those a shot, and if it still isn’t working let me know. :)