Fabric Heart Garland

Hi there! Today I am going to show you how to make this fabric heart garland using one of my favorite features of the CAMEO… cutting fabric.

To get started, open the heart shape in Silhouette studio and resize to your liking. {Mine is 2″ x 2″} Then, duplicate once.

Next, you’ll want to get your fabric ready. To do that, take a small scrap of fabric and cut a piece of Silhouette sewable fabric interfacing to the same size. Then, iron the interfacing to the back side of the fabric.

Next, peel off the paper backing exposing the interfacing.

Then, place the fabric, interfacing side down, onto the mat and load it into the CAMEO.

Next, replace your regular blade with the blue fabric blade and you are set to cut.

Go back to Silhouette studio and select the fabric settings in the cut settings window and click cut.

Next, place the heart shapes back to back and stitch around most of the heart leaving just a small opening to fill with batting. Then, once filled with batting, stitch the heart closed. Repeat the previous steps to make several more hearts.

Then, string them together using a needle and twine and you’ve got a fun fabric heart garland…

Shape:
9 hearts

18 thoughts on “Fabric Heart Garland

1. Jodi says:

This is so cute. I just got a cameo and have yet to get it out to play with it. I will have to get the interfacing and the extra blade for sure! :)

I love your blog, it has given me some really great ideas; now I just need to get them done! :)

Jodi

1. Reggirl says:

Hi,
      I am an designer/embroiderer by trade of the old way these days people call it “thread painting” though I also applique too. I have just got the fabric kit & this is really helping me get the idea on how the fabric cutter works… thanks for your little tute above, I will certainly give it a shot. Thanks again for all your help,
      Regards,
      Regina

2. Thanks, loved seeing how to use the fabric blade. Just got one for Christmas and can’t wait to use it.

3. Do you need to use the fabric blade or will the regular blade work ok? I don’t have the fabric blade and don’t want to order one if I don’t need to.

Hi Michelle,

The fabric blade is the same as the regular blade, only a different color. It’s like for sewing scissors, when you cut paper with them they dull quickly and don’t cut the fabric as well as they should. Same goes for the blade in your Silhouette. So, we made a blade with the blue casing so it’s easy to spot which one is just for fabric. If you have an extra blade, that will work just as well. We just recommend keeping a separate blade for cutting only fabric for best results. :)

2. Speaking from experience, it definitely makes a difference using a blade dedicated for fabric only. A blade that’s been used much for paper won’t cut all the fabric cleanly, and a nice and sticky mat makes a big difference as well. (I have a dedicated fabric blade and a dedicated fabric mat.)

3. I was wondering the same thing! Great idea to have a different blade for fabric…I should have thought of this since I’ve told my husband a million times not to use my fabric scissors and have FABRIC written on them 10 times. :)

4. VMS says:

Did you thread the twine through the hearts or is it stitched onto the back only?

5. Barbara Jay says:

I notice on the picture of the small piece of fabric on the mat you have the white rollers still set for a 12″mat . Do you always leave them set for a 12″mat regardless of the size paper or fabric you are cutting?

I had a situation where I was cutting on an 8 & 1/2″ x 11″ piece of cardstock and had the white rollers set for 8 & 1/2″ width. Half way through the cutting process the mat slipped on the right side and went kaddy corner into the machine . I hit pause and then enter to make the mat reverse and come out .

1. Reggirl says:

Hi, I’m pretty new to the Cameo, but I tend to leave it set on the 12×12 mat as that is what I use all the time. As the mat has measurements on it & on the Silhouette program I just make sure I have the paper/card in the right way…. I check if I’m putting an “A4″ cardstock sheet onto the mat, that I also have it set as either Landscape or Portrait on the program… I know if you pick the size of the sheet for an A4 it comes on screen as a landscape… you can change it if you want. Look on the right-hand side when you are there are options (this is when you first start up the program), & you can click on how you want & what size you want from the page box on the right-hand side.
      I hope I have been some sort of help,
      Regards,
      Regina

2. Reggirl says:

Oh yeah… Also it is a pain to keep changing the width of the rollers, especially if you have hand problems like I do.
      Regards,
      Regina

Hi Barbara,

Regina is right… You’ll want to keep the rollers set for the mat size, and not the size of the material you place on the mat. Unless you are using a material such as vinyl or heat transfer that doesn’t require a mat… you’ll then move the rollers to accommodate the 9″ width. Hope that helps :)

4. Barbara Jay says:

Thank you! That was what I suspected caused the mat to slip. The roller was too far to the left to grab and advance it.
      I used two little round rubber needle grabbers to hold on to the metal roller and the white width thingy . If you don’t have any needle grabbers just use a couple of rubber jar opener pieces.

6. I am loving the possibilities of fabric cutting with the Cameo, but even in the You Tube demo, the Cameo guy admits that there are always a few un-cut threads at the corners. This is the problem I have, so it is NOT as clean as with paper DRAT! I am a quilting designer, and wish this was as wonderful as I could imagine.

Also, I can’t help thinking these heart would be even cuter with shape-trimmed (like pinking or scalloped) outer edge, or is that counter to the Cameo culture to cut digital and then cut by hand? Just thinking….

Hi Jodi,

I’m curious… which YouTube demo are you referring to?

7. Samantha says:

This tutorial is GREAT! It is such a CUTE idea! I have pinned this for a project to complete later! Thank you for posting it!

♥ Samantha

8. Merianne says:

This may be a dumb question, but I was wondering what the purpose is for the interfacing? Can’t you just cut the material? I’ve never cut material with my machine so I don’t know what I’m doing! :)

9. Mama Pea says:

Cute! I need a little valentine idea for my daughter to make and give to her friends at school…something that incorporates a treat. Hope you’ll have some of those ideas coming up. Thanks for sharing all the great inspiration!