DIY Party Week :: It’s a BOY, Baby Shower.

Hi there! Is it just me, or is your  instagram and facebook feed chalk full of baby bumps and happy moms to be? It is fun to share in the excitement and it gets the creative wheels turning! Hence today’s party theme… It’s a BOY, baby shower.
An otherwise girly 3d bow from the online store, is transformed into a perfect bow tie when cut out of black cardstock.

Use that same bow tie on a larger scale, added to the front of a treat bag with an “Oh Boy!” tag for party favors.

It definitely doesn’t hurt to throw a mustache or two in there on drink straws and as cupcake toppers.

One of my favorite elements is the flocked heat transfer bow tie onsie!

Heat transfer is a super quick way to embellish apparel and paper crafted projects. If you are new to heat transfer, here are some tips to get you started.
The flocked heat transfer is 9″ wide, so the first thing you’ll want to do is open the Page settings window, and change the height to 9″.
Next, create your design. Then, be sure to mirror your image.  You can do that with a quick right click of the mouse, then select flip horizontally.
Next if you are using a CAMEO, you’ll want to adjust the roller to the inside notch.
Then, place the heat transfer, shiny side down up against the rollers and select load media.
Back to Silhouette studio, open the Cut Settings window and select ‘flocked heat transfer’ from the menu and you are all set to cut.
Once the shapes are cut, remove the excess heat transfer, and use the hook tool to weed out any small pieces that aren’t part of your design.
Then, flip the image over and place it on your project.
Next, cover the image with a piece of fabric and press firmly with a hot iron for approximately 45-60 seconds.
Let it cool slightly, then remove the clear backing.
Easy peasy bow tie onsie that doubles as baby shower decor.

If you are feeling adventurous and want different colors in your design, you can even layer the flocked heat transfer like in this ‘mom’s little man’ onsie. The black heat transfer shape was put down first. Then I repeated the process with the grey ‘little’. I love how it turned out…

Thanks for stopping by… and have a great day, everyone!
disguises {bow tie}

21 thoughts on “DIY Party Week :: It’s a BOY, Baby Shower.

1. Kara says:

So simple, but so cute!

2. Leah Crowe says:

Love these ideas!!
    What settings would you use for a heat press with Silhouette Vinyl?

Thanks Leah! Because they are all different, you might try cutting a small shape out of the heat transfer and try it on a scrap piece of fabric. We recommend no hotter than 300 degree though which is a typical cotton setting on an iron. Hope that helps :)

2. Leah Crowe says:

Thanks Jeana, I will try that! :)

3. Joybabe says:

can you tell me what fonts you used for Mom’s little man?

4. Wendy Min says:

I love this! Can you clarify for me, you put the black circle onto the “little” title and then transferred the whole image including the onto the onesie? Also, does the heat transfer wash in the washer or need to be hand-washed? Thanks!

Thanks Wendy! I first ironed on the black circle that had the words “mom’s man and the mustache cut out of it. Then, I cut out the word ‘little’ in the grey heat transfer and ironed that on top of the black circle. Hope that makes sense?

You can definitely wash items with heat transfer in your washer, you will just want to wash the garment inside-out. If any edges come up, you may simply re-iron them down again at any point to give your project a bit of a touch-up.

5. tmack says:

Can this only be used with the cameo?

No, you can cut the heat transfer with any Silhouette.

6. Mommytutu says:

I’ve been having a ton of fun using the heat transfer but am finding that it destroys my blades. After all large/simple designs I had to replace the blade before I reached the end of the roll. Is this normal/Any tips?

I’m glad you are enjoying it! I’d say that isn’t normal. If you contact our customer support team at support@silhouetteamerica.com they’d be happy to help. :)

7. Betsy says:

So cute! Thank you for the nice visuals.

8. Very cute! I love heat transfer vinyl; I just wish I had more ideas and blank shirts to use it on. :)

9. This could not have come at a better time! It seems that all my gfs are having boys this year:)

10. Where did the printable come from (It’s a Boy with the mustache)? So cute!

Thanks Lisa! I cut the letters and mustache out of cardstock and adhered them to a piece of vellum. Then I stitched the vellum to the piece of black and white striped paper. If you want to make one just like it, the ‘it’s a’ is in the learning curve font and ‘boy!’ is in the bebas font. The mustache shape is the bottom right mustache in the 6 mustache set shape. Hope this helps :)

11. jintyoo7 says:

How fabulous! Love the swing to the bold B&W, compared with baby blues! The use of moustaches and dickie bows is an absolute riot :D

12. I love love love this adorable theme! You are right- mustaches are really trending now. Will definitely try these projects.

13. carole says:

how did you do the sign?

Also do you have to use Silhoutte heat transfer sheet or any will do?

1. Jeana Goodwin says:

Hi Carole!

I layered a piece of vellum on top of a striped piece of scrapbook paper. Then cut the words and mustache out of black cardstock and adhered them on top of the vellum. We recommend the Silhouette heat transfer, but you can use others. The heat transfer cut settings may not work the same for different brands, so I’d recommend doing a test cut before cutting out your entire design. :)

14. Jeana Goodwin says:

Thanks Mary Jo! They can be attached using your favorite strong hold adhesive.