Tutorial :: Bolding Letters

I’ve been working on a fun project that I’ll be sharing with you next week, and wanted to give you a quick sneak peek in the form of a tutorial.
When creating titles and journaling I have a few fonts that are kind of my go-to’s. Sometimes they work great as they are, and sometimes they don’t have enough substance to them to create the right presence on my project.
Here’s a quick example. On this particular page, I selected a tall/thin font for “fall” because I wanted it to be subtle. After cutting it out and placing it on the page, it just kind of blended into the background. It was a little too subtle.
Normally in this case I’d bold the font and try again, but sometimes fonts don’t have a bold option. No worries though. When you come across a font like this, the offset feature is your go-to tool.
Once you have typed your word, open the offset window and click offset.
Then, use the down arrow to change the offset distance. I chose .025 for mine, but it will all depend on your personal preference and the font you are using so play around with it a bit until it’s to your liking. Then click apply.
After the offset is applied, your letters will look something like this.
Next, select the original text {it will still be grouped together so it should all be selected just by clicking the inside of on one of the letters} and delete.
Here is the original and it’s “bolded” version in Silhouette studio…
and the before and after on my project.
It still has that tall thinner look that I like about the font, but now it doesn’t blend into the background. This little trick works great with thin scripty fonts too.
I hope you find this helpful. Thanks for stopping by today!

27 thoughts on “Tutorial :: Bolding Letters

1. oh that’s so smart! Thanks for sharing.

2. Keianna says:

Great tip on how to use that feature. Thanks

3. vegetablog says:

Genius! So simple. I’ve run into that no-bold-option problem before and never thought of this. Thanks!
    ~Natalie

4. Annette says:

aww wow that is sooo cool… I sure hope I win a cameo so I can have fun with these letters too.. Thanks for sharing..
    I LOVE IT..

5. brenda says:

That is so cool! Now I can use so many more of my fonts! Thanks for the help.

6. Rachel W K says:

beautiful and great tip! i always spend so much time looking for the perfect font!
    -Rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

7. Kacey says:

You can also change the line thickness to get the same result (Line Style Window/Line Thickness) – less steps! Hope this helps someone! ;)

Hi Kacey,

That’s a great suggestion for printing. For cutting though, the offset tool is still your best bet. :) If you look in the cut style window after you’ve changed the line thickness you will see that the actual cutline doesn’t move. It will still cut the letter out at the original size.

8. Kim H says:

thank you for sharing this tip, I didnt know you could do that LOL will come in handy for my scrapbooking and card making.

9. Tanya/Nonna says:

OOOOOHHH…thanks for sharing this helpful hint! I will definitely be trying this one!

10. winjes says:

Love this! What font did you use?

Thanks! :) It is the Ostrich font.

11. You just gave me the best idea. I make rhinestone appliques with my silhouette and I never knew how to make and outline when I cut fonts. Now so I can do a 2 color or 3 color option for all the fonts I create.

beth of prettyhipmom@etsy.com

12. kilismom says:

Absolutely thrilled you shared this tip!! I usually pass a font if I am unable to make it thicker. Since I haven’t played around with the offset tool yet, can you tell me if this would work on images that have very thin lines vs. increasing the dimension of the image itself?

Oh good! It will work the same with images. I made a quick example you can view here https://plus.google.com/photos/116120730510650853037/albums/5808862475568806593?authkey=CJCQ6c3W7_7vGg . You’ll notice the image on the right after applying the offset is a tiny bit larger than the original image, but not by much. Hope that answers your question. :)

13. jintyoo7 says:

Ahah!!!! How clever you are, I would never have thought of this and have been in that position of trying to use a font that can’t be “bolded” – THANK YOU, Jeana and “Kilismom” – oh happy day!!!!!

14. jintyoo7 says:

No word verification now? – Jolly good :D

15. Lori says:

GREAT idea – LOVE to have these handy tips! Genius!!!

16. Jenny says:

Bless you! This issue has plagued me for some time. I’m so glad to finally have a solution!!!

17. Steffanie says:

I have done this! It works really well!

18. Just did this and it worked out BEAUTIFULLY!!! Even added some inner cut-outs of hearts!!! THANK YOU!!!
    Kathi Townzen

When I do this a circle appears around my words

1. Jeana G says:

If you’ve tried reducing the offset with the toggle and it still doesn’t work, I would recommend contacting customer support at support@silhouetteamerica.com for further assistance. They are quick to respond and happy to help :)

20. Sandy says:

Same thing here – just a big circle around it…

1. Jeana G says:

2. Sandy says:

Jeana, mine looks like your first screen shot – that kind of puffy cloud looking thing around the letters. Once I click apply, the puffy cloud is still there, and when I click on my word and hit the delete key, all I am left with is a puffy cloud. Does that make sense? Thanks for your help. I will keep trying, and if no luck, will contact customer support. Love all your tutorials :)

21. Sandy says:

I figured it out! I wasn’t going low enough on my offset distance. :)