Featured Artist :: Susie Hildebrandt :: Children’s Thanksgiving Place Setting

This week’s featured artist is Susie Hildebrandt.
The other day I was talking with a co-worker about Thanksgiving and brainstorming ideas for how to keep the kids entertained during the meal. From my experience kids like to eat for about 2.5 minutes, then what? That sparked this idea for a fun and interactive place setting, and this little turkey designed by Susie is the star of the show.

I put him on a crayon box placed in the center of the plate, and using other shapes from the store and the sketch pens I created the coloring placemat. In addition to coloring it in, the older kids could even list what they are thankful for. Wouldn’t it be fun to save and use as the base for a scrapbook layout?

There are other fun shapes where this one came from… You can check out Susie’s shapes here

12 thoughts on “Featured Artist :: Susie Hildebrandt :: Children’s Thanksgiving Place Setting

1. Unknown says:

Great idea… Sometimes the kids table is way more fun!!!

2. WOW This blog surprises me every week. There are so many ways to use this product in ways that I would never have thought of!

3. I hope I don’t sound super dumb but how did you do this?

Hi Carolyn… Glad you asked! :) It is made using the Silhouette sketch pens. Instead of cutting the shape you see in Silhouette studio, you can replace the blade with a pen and sketch the cutlines rather than cut them. You can find a tutorial on using the sketch pens here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IP7jOLwtII&feature=plcp

4. Thanks for making my stuff look so good! I love this idea! Now I really want to get my other fall/ Thanksgiving designs done and submitted for even more Thanksgiving cuteness. I always enjoy your blog!

5. Thanks for making my stuff look so good! I love this idea! Now I really want to get my other fall/ Thanksgiving designs done and submitted for even more Thanksgiving cuteness. I always enjoy your blog!

6. Megan says:

I love this idea! I’m going to attempt it myself, but I have one question… how do you get the pumpkins to be layered. I can’t figure out how to have one in front of the other.

Hi Megan.. that is a great question! Once you have the pumpkins placed the way you want them, zoom in really close and using the eraser tool, erase any overlapping lines that don’t belong. Hope this makes sense. :)

7. Megan says:

i have a dumb question.. did you adjust the crayon box size to make it fit the crayons in it?

The shape actually comes just the right size to fit the crayons. :)