Reading Corner Series – Print and Cut book labels

No reading corner is complete without good books… and just so there is no question as to who they belong to you can create some fun/personalized labels.

To create a print and cut label…

First, use some of your favorite shapes from the online store along with the fonts on your computer to design the label in Silhouette Studio.

Then,  add some life to the label by selecting each shape individually and filling it with color. To do this open the Fill Color window and select a color or use the eye dropper to select a custom color.

Once all of the shapes are filled, you will notice that they still have the red outline. To remove it, select all of the shapes that you filled and open the Line Color window. Then, click on the first square which will make the lines transparent.

Once your design is complete go to the registration marks window and click Show Reg Marks.

Next, to make sure only the outer border of the label is cut out, open the cut style window and select all but the outer border and click no cut.

If you want to print/cut more than one label at a time, select the shape and open the Replicate window and select Fill Page.

Once the page is filled and you’ve printed it out, open the Silhouette Cut Settings window and place the page on your cutting mat as shown in Silhouette Studio. Then, select your paper type, {I used a medium weight copy paper} click cut and watch the magic begin… The machine will read the registration marks on the page and cut out the shapes. Awesome right? :)

After the labels are cut out, use your adhesive of choice and label away!

bicycle_C00142_27175
artisan_label_set_C00178_41853

Fonts:
Learning Curve
American Typewriter

44 thoughts on “Reading Corner Series – Print and Cut book labels

1. Helen says:

This is a great idea. I love getting your updates and tutorials, so inspiring!

Some label manufacturers offer 8.5 x 11″ full sheet labels. If I wanted to cut these out on a label sheet (like a vinyl kiss-cut) how would I change the directions?

Thanks!

1. Stephanie says:

I was JUST thinking the same thing. I’m tempted to say that if you printed it directly to the adhesive paper, then put it w/the backing still on through the Silhouette to cut, it could cut through the adhesive & backing, then just peel off like a sticker. Haven’t tried, but that’s my guess. Might have to give this one a go.

2. Unknown says:

In your cut settings you can select – label sheet(with adhesive back) for this purpose. Have fun!!!

3. we3katie says:

I recently worked with full sheet labels and found that the label sheet, with adhesive back and setting the blade to 1 cuts through paper and not through the backing. Pretty cool.

4. Lovelia says:

Do you mean just cut the sheet with adhesive and don’t cut the paper back (the paper to remove)? That would be wonderful

5. KimberlyRae says:

I did this on setting 1 and it worked great to give a set of gift stickers along with card.

2. Moon Mama says:

Thanks for the super clear directions. Really would like to make my Silhouette machine more useful (hardly use it right now).

3. Kathy says:

What a great tutorial! I am going to have to put this to use!!

4. amymerry says:

Newbie here! How do you get the label printed in color before cutting? Do you print on your regular printer first? Thanks!

1. Shiobhan says:

I was wondering the same thing!

Hi Amy… here is a quick print and cut tutorial that might help :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMcWKW8Ep70&feature=plcp

5. Did you use the sketch pens for the font and such?

6. Kathy says:

Thanks, this would be a great way to also do labels for my handmade soap.

7. love this tute, plan to use it today!

8. jintyoo7 says:

MARVELOUS!! Love this tutorial :)
    Thank you!!

9. Lovelia says:

With silhouette, can you cut the adhesive paper and not to cut the paper from behind? I mean something like this:

10. Kristen says:

Is it possible to change the margins when you do a print and cut? I would like to use as much of my expensive magnet paper as possible, but can’t change the margins or registration marks. Thanks!

Hi Kristen, by using the toggles in the Registration Marks window under “Reg Mark Margins” you can use the up and down arrows, or the slider to change the margins of the marks. :)

2. Kristen says:

Thanks, Jeana. I was hoping the margins could go smaller than .625, but they won’t slide smaller than that. Also, when I try to change the page margins in the page setup window under the file menu, the margin options are gray and I can’t change them. Is there a way to change those? Thanks for your quick help!

Hi Kristen,

That is a great question! If you send a quick email to our customer support at support@silhouetteamerica.com they’d be happy to help :)

4. Sepi says:

I’m wondering the same thing as well…I’ve wasted 4 of my golden label papers because the registration mark isn’t printing on the label paper…I used regular standard paper and the registration shows? Definitely don’t want to waste another label paper…I’m half way gone!

11. Shiobhan says:

Yes, you do print on a regular printer first. Here is a quick video tutorial that will take you through the process step by step… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMcWKW8Ep70&feature=plcp

12. Can you use this function with a black and white only printer or does it have to have a color cartridge in it?

13. Lynn says:

I’m also a newbie and wondering the same thing as a few others…how do you get the label printed in color before cutting? Do you print on your regular printer first? Thanks!

Hi Lynn,

Yes, you do print it out first, then it is cut with the CAMEO. The print and cut feature is one of my favorites! :) Here is a video tutorial that will take you through step by step http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMcWKW8Ep70&feature=plcp

14. Calli Medved says:

Thinking about getting this machine. Just a question for clarification please? The silhouette cameo just cuts, it doesn’t print as well correct? So on your project, you created the image in the Silhouette software program on computer, sent it to your printer (I take it there is a ‘file print’ on the silhouette software) and that took that piece and placed it on the cutting mat and had the silhouette software cut it)?? Thanks,

You are exactly right. You’d print your design along with registration marks from the Silhouette studio software on your home printer then the CAMEO will cut it out. If you want to see it in action here is a quick video tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMcWKW8Ep70&feature=plcp

15. Dana R says:

I have a question about this too please :) Very clear and descriptive instructions on how to print and then not cut out the printing, thanks, but, how do you only cut the outside of the label? Looking at it, it has inner and outer cut lines. Thanks!

Hi Dana,

By default all lines are set to cut. So, to only cut the outside border, you select everything but the outside and select no cut. When you do that, you’ll notice that the outside line is the only one that will be bolded red, meaning it is the only thing going to be cut. Hope this make sense? :)

Another way to get only the outside line to cut is to select all of the shapes and select cut edge. It’s kind of a personal preference, but both do the same thing. :)

16. Meghan says:

I have a question about how you made the outline of the label yellow. I was able to follow the tutorial instructions to make my fonts and other shapes colored but can’t figure out how to make just the border of the label a color without coloring in the entire background of the label…

Hi Meghan,

You can change the border color in the line color window. Once you’ve changed the line color you’ll want to open the line style window and change the line thickness to atleast .25 for it to show up when printing.

Hope this helps :)

17. Meghan says:

Yes, that helps! I got it – thanks!!

18. scrapmama says:

One question:
    Your tutorial doesn’t really explain the printing part. Do you somehow choose a color printer for printing or do you print on the Silhouette and keep changing color cartridges somehow?????
    Thanks!

When using the print and cut feature, you will print to your home printer.

2. scrapmama says:

Nevermind… I just read the comments above mine and they answered my question. I’ll have to give it a try! Thanks!

19. Andrea says:

Quick question on the fonts….did they come with your studio? I dont appear to have either of them.

1. Jeana G says:

The fonts that appear in Silhouette studio are pulled from those that you have downloaded onto your computer. So, the fonts I used here I had downloaded from a font website. I believe it was dafont.com

20. Kelly says:

I’ve only had my Silhouette Cameo a week and any trying to figure out so many things! My current (big) question is: how do you select individual colors from the fill color window when you click on a downloaded design and the entire design selects? I don’t want everything in the design the same color!! Help!

1. Jeana G says:

Hi Kelly, When you open your shape do a quick right click and select ungroup until you see that all of the pieces have their own separate box around them. Then you can select and color each one individually. :)

21. Kimberly says:

I am apparently missing a step. I have created labels for Valentine’s for a school class. When I go to make a page of the label under the replicate tool only the shape replicates, not the text I wrote inside the shape. What step did I miss?

1. Jeana G says:

If you drag your mouse across the labels you’ve made, right click and select group then you should be able to use the replicate :)