Print and Cut Bingo Game Cards

I created these fun BINGO cards with one of my favorite CAMEO/Silhouette Studio features… print and cut. Really, I am not quite sure how I ever crafted without it. :)
Today, I’ll walk you through the steps on how I created these BINGO cards, but the same steps can be used to create shaped business cards, invitation, gift tags, journaling on a scrapbook page etc. FUN!… Let’s get started.
Using the shapes and text features on the left side of the screen I designed the BINGO card.
You’ll notice at this point all of the shapes and fonts are the generic red outline. To add color, I selected my text, clicked the fill color icon and selected my color. Then I repeated that process for the numbers, bird and branch.
The shapes/letters I just filled still had the standard red cut line around them, so I opened the line color window and selected the cross hatch which removes any line color. Next, I added color to my dashed line as well as my boxes in that same window.
Then, to make those lines a little bolder I changed the line thickness in the line style window.
This next step is crucial to the print and cut process… I selected “show registration marks” in the registration marks setting window. Then, I clicked print.
Because I didn’t want all of the shapes and letters to be cut out,  I changed all of the shapes to “no cut” in the cut style window , except for the card itself. The shapes that will be cut are bold red.
Next, I placed my printed paper on the mat, just like it shows in the software, and loaded into the CAMEO. Lastly I clicked “cut” and let the CAMEO work it’s magic. It still amazes me. Every. Single. Time. :)
This feature is so much fun. Give it a try, you might love it almost as much as I do. *wink*

62 thoughts on “Print and Cut Bingo Game Cards

1. Caryn S says:

This is a great tutorial! I don’t have a Cameo, I have the original version (Quickutz) and I have had bad luck getting the P&C to work for me. I will try again referring to this tutorial. I appreciate that you pointed out the important step of removing the cut lines before printing.

1. Caryn, the Cameo is so much better at reading the registration marks than the original Silhouette. If you’re having trouble, try making sure the room is well lit, and make sure the registration marks are perfectly even on the mat. My printer prints crooked, so I would have to place my paper on my mat slightly crooked to compensate with my original machine.

2. Barbara says:

I am very curious about something because I am preparing to buy a Cameo, can you print registration marks on paper smaller than 12×12? In other words if I make a 6×6 design and want to use 8.5×11 paper would that put registration marks on that size paper?

Hope I explained it right! :)

Hi Barbara,

Yes, you can definitely print the registration marks on a letter size paper.

2. cassie says:

I don’t have a silhouette so maybe this is a dumb question, but going to ask anyway. Did you print on a regular printer and then put that paper in the silhouette or dies the silhouette have a pen option in place of the blade?

1. Cassie–for print and cut, you do print on a regular printer. Make sure the registration marks are turned on before printing, and that gives the guide for the Silhouette to read once you place the printout on the mat for cutting. But the Silhouette does have a pen option for sketching instead of cutting in a different kind of project (see the “sketch pens” label on the right hand side of this blog).

2. When I print(HP photosmart) it prints out crooked on the paper even though it’s straight in the sil program. I’m assuming this messes up my cut b/c the cameo will say it read the reg marks successfully but the cut is off. :( Any suggestions? I’m ready to cry! I’ve tried so many different things.

3. ttmarcy says:

HapmtonsTreasure,I am having this same problem. Does anyone have a solution they can share??

3. Unknown says:

Very cute Jeana…The Print and Cut is probably my favorite option with the sil software.

For the newbies…I think it is important to mention that the print area is smaller when you use the reg. marks. If you look at the reg. mark settings you can adjust those on your page for maximum use of your paper. Just play around with your settings a bit and soon you will be a pro…

4. Eveline says:

Can you do another tutorial about how you made the bingo card? I really like this but I’m not very good at making stuff like that myself.
    Eveline.

5. AHowell says:

ok so this is yet another reason for me to get this machine. every time I talk my self out of buying it I see something like this !!!

6. Christy J says:

@ Caryn – I too have the original Silhouette. In order for print and cut to work for me, I increase the size of the registration marks (you see the boxes to do so when you show registration marks). Then I print. My original then has no problem finding them when I cut. I so wish I could afford a Cameo, but my “original” works fine..I just have to ungroup and regroup and move pieces off the screen mat in order to cut some designs.

7. Gilda says:

Great project! Thanks for sharing.

8. Nat says:

My cameo is in the mail on its way to me, I was wondering to create the cards did you use the free software or do you need the paid upgrade to do things like that?

9. Melinda says:

Great tutorial and endless possibilities! Thanks for sharing!

10. Love this tutorial, it answered so many Print and Cut questions for me that I hadn’t been able to find the answers to. I noticed that your project is withing the grid area of the print and cut registrations marks. I had thought you had to stay out of those areas. I’m so happy I saw this post! Now I know I don’t have to avoid that area of the paper and it will allow me to fit more on a 8.5 x 11 sheet.

11. Kathy says:

I think all of this was created with the software that comes with your machine. No extra purchase beyond the print and cut images you want.
    Great tutorial!!

12. Unknown says:

This never works for me. The registration marks don’t line up with the boxes on the mat so my cut never does right. I’ve looked all over the internet to find a tutorial that shows someone actually putting the printed page on the mat to see what I’m doing wrong but I haven’t found anything yet. This bingo card is really cute!

Thanks! :) Customer support would be happy to walk you through it if you want to contact them http://silhouetteamerica.com/contact.aspx they really are happy to help. :)

2. I’m having the same problems. :(

13. MC says:

I also have issues with print and cut with my cameo where the cut is not in alignment with the printed image which results in a white border around parts of the image. I have emailed support about a week ago but haven’t heard from them. It is difficult for me to call because of the time difference and me being at work. Any help would be appreciated!

14. Unknown says:

Hi, so sorry to hear about your print and cut issues… without more info, it’s hard to say what the issue might be. I do have a couple suggestions though.
    To Unknown: The reg marks printed on your page do not have to line up with the squares on the mat. They are printed so that the optical eye (my term) in your sil can line up your page properly to cut. Once you have printed your page, just click on the sil icon on top left side of your work screen and follow the prompts.

To MC: I had the same issue the first time I did a P and C with my Cameo. I believe your problem is with your reg mark settings. Click on the reg mark icon top right side of your work screen and near the bottom of the drop down list is an area to choose Auto, Cameo, or SilSD. Just make sure you choose cameo and this should solve the problem.
    Hope this helps…

1. MC says:

Thanks for the tip! I actually have tried the cameo setting for the registration marks instead of the auto and I still get the same results :( I am a bit of a perfectionist so that white border really bugs me! boohoo

2. Unknown says:

Sorry that didn’t work. My cameo is exact on my p and c’s since I checked that option. Another thing that you can do is to make an offset of whatever you are printing and set it to no cut. I think the “pro’s” call it bleed… For instance, if I was printing and cutting a red square, I would just offset it slightly and fill the offset with the same color, then go to my cut settings and choose no cut for the offset. It’s like putting a small frame around your image. That way when you cut your original image, there shouldn’t be any of the paper color exposed on the front. Hope I explained that okay… Maybe sil support could offer you some advice. I would hate the white border too!!!

15. snetram says:

I’ve been working on Print and Cut and mostly do okay. One thing I have found is that you can put too many objects on the page which I guess confuses the machine. Try limiting to several cuts at once. I really love the Beatrix Potter figures for kid’s cards.

16. Wendy says:

Thank you! my hubby helped me before to make an invitation and I did not know what he did to not have the words cut. My son and i were working on his birtday invitation yestarday and we did not finish because of that issue. I just went and did what you showed here…thanks so much.

17. @Jeana – How did you insert/embed the table grid for the numbers? I feel like I’m missing something obvious, but I can’t seem to find an “insert table” option. Any hints…anyone?

1. Unknown says:

Hello…
      This was done with the drawing and text tools on the left side of your work screen. There is no table grid option in this software. There are a couple ways to do this. Just draw a square and replicate then align, or use the grid on your workpage and draw your lines. The base looks like it was drawn with the rounded corner rectangle tool. Make sure you choose the “snap to grid” option from the “grid” drop down list, it will make lining things up easier. Have fun…

18. marit says:

I’m thinking of buying a Silhouette Cameo. Do you need to buy “pens” whit color to print?

19. Unknown says:

You can use pens in the silhouette to draw on paper or you can use the software to print to your regular printer.

20. Lisa says:

Does anyone know why some of my outlines don’t print? If I fill the shape then it will print the filled area but if I only want an outline of it, it doesn’t print out on my printer. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Lisa, One thing you might try is changing the line thickness in the Line Style window as well as selecting “print lines of selected shapes” down at the bottom of that same window. Hope this helps….:)

21. Charmaine says:

My Silhouette Cameo is on the way. Can’t wait to get it. Can I print and cut digital images I have saved in a file on my computer?

22. Brittini says:

I love this!!! Too bad there wasnt a quick print and cut fathers Day card! :(

23. NancyLeeC says:

Adorable, but don’t give it to a “real” Bingo player as shown. The numbering on the cards is wrong. They will know immediately. It would be like giving a card with serious spelling and grammar mistakes to an English teacher.

On a Bingo card, the numbers in the B column are between 1 and 15, in the I column between 16 and 30, in the N column (containing four numbers and the free space) between 31 and 45, in the G column between 46 and 60, and in the O column between 61 and 75.

24. Nicole says:

I was just wondering…what kind of paper is best for the print & cut feature?

Hi Nicole, all types of paper are great for this feature depending on your project. I use mainly cardstock and photo paper.

2. Nicole says:

Thanks Jeana, so just good old plain cardstock could do the trick. I think it is best maybe to use the smooth cardstock then, isn’t it? I’m going to give it a try :o)

You bet! Most of the time I use a smooth cardstock, but sometimes it’s fun to get a little texture in there too. Have fun! :)

25. SoCalSteve says:

what file types can i import into the program? Currently I have PDF’s with random shames that i’d like to import & cut. Also, if I set a dashed line as part of the cut, will it cut just the dashes or will it cut a solid line?

Also, is there a version with an auto feeder?

26. Ria says:

Hi! Has anyone ever had any success doing a double sided print and cut? I’d like to make custom shaped business cards (cake shaped) but I’d like both sides to have something printed on. Thanks in advance for the help!

1. Austin Hill says:

You ever find an answer for this?

I’ve been having limited success trying to make that work. The back side is always a little off. I can’t imagine it would work if the print was 100% aligned on the paper on both sides. I’ve gotten it close…but not perfect. So, I think the challenge exists on the printing end. As long as you have registation marks on ONE side that the cutter detects it should work. I wonder if there are printers out there or a professional place that can print perfectly aligned sides…

27. Fantastic tutorial! I was trying to create my daughter’s birthday invitations and came across your article! thanks for sharing!

Cher @ Designs by Studio C

28. Holly Baker says:

This was the perfect tutorial!!!! Once I figured out how to change my paper to 8.5 x 11, it worked like a charm. I even stumbled upon a way to get your words to go around the edge of your shape! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Our birthday party invitations are perfect!

29. AJ says:

This may sound a stupid question but do you just plug your printer into your PC/ laptop as usual, or do you attach it to the Portrait somehow and then print that way. Haven’t done this yet, only got Portrait today, but how else will the Portrait tell the printer to cut.

Hi AJ,

Yes, you’ll just plug your printer into your computer as usual and after you turn on the registration marks in Silhouette Studio, you’ll click send to printer. Once it has printed it out you’ll place that paper on your mat, load it into the portrait and click cut in Silhouette studio. Then, the Portrait will read the registration marks and know exactly where to cut out your printed shape. :) It’s cool to watch, one of my favorite features for sure! If you’d like, you can check out our YouTube channel for helpful tutorials. Here is one on the print and cut feature specifically..

2. AJ says:

Thank you, thought it was something like that, have had a play and love it. Did a print and cut and was slightly disappointed with the white edges around the image from the CD, gonna try and play with the nodes to see if that helps

30. hello im new to this. just found out there are machines that print and cut card stock. I own a Roland GX24 but only cuts vinyl, so its not good for card stock.
    I am used to drawing with adobe Illustrator and sending the files to be cut from here. If I wanted to use the Cameo would i be able to draw in adoble illustrator and export it the program used by this cutter?
    thanks

Hi Cecilia,

With the designer edition of the Silhouette studio software you will be able to import .svg files, so you can definitely draw in Illustrator and cut out your files with the Silhouette.

31. Sally says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial I was at a loss and you fixed me right up!

32. SewCalGal says:

It has been awhile since I’ve done this. Somehow I’m messing up as my print on a letter size paper are not lining up with when I cut on my cameo. Trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

SewCalGal

33. Misty says:

My printer does not print the images just the registration marks. What am I doing wrong?

1. Jeana G says:

It could be a couple of different things. If you want to print a shape you either need to fill it with a pattern, or a color. Or, if you just want the outline of the shape to print, increase the line thickness to anything above 0 in the line style window and you should be good to go. Let me know if that works.

34. I’ve read through this tutorial dozens of times and have followed the instructions step by step. So far I haven’t had success with print & cut! Even though it says it’s detected the registration marks, it doesn’t line up at all when it starts cutting! What can I do???

1. Jeana G says:

Our customer support team would be happy to walk you through it and see what is going on. You may contact them at support@silhouetteamerica.com.

35. Linda says:

I’ve had the same print & cut problems as some of these stated and the way I was able to get it to work was to go to ‘file’ (top left) and change the page orientation to Portrait. You may have to re-arrange your page but this worked for me when nothing else did. The machine detected the registration marks and away I went! Hope this helps someone else!

36. Rebekah says:

Is there a trick to getting the cardstock NOT to stick to the cutting mat? Do you need a cutting mat if you are using thick cardstock?

1. Jeana G says:

Yes, you do need a mat. If your mat is brand new, take off the blue cover and ‘season’ it a bit by tapping it on a pair of jeans.

37. tahreem r says:

Can u cut chipboard.I hav n inkjet printer, it doesn’t print thicker material.what should I do if I want to cut chipboard, print on paper.and paste the paper on the chipboard and then feed it into the machine?

1. Jeana G says:

Yes, the Silhouette can cut chipboard. So, if you wanted your bingo cards on chipboard I would recommend printing on sticker paper and adhering it to the top of the chipboard. Or, these were printed on cardstock and are pretty sturdy. If you planned to keep and re-use them, they could even be laminated to be a little more durable. Lot’s of options :)

38. Jaclyn says:

I made the cutest Valentine’s for my daughter to take to school using the print and cut feature. This was an excellent tutorial! Thank you!!