DIY growth chart/wall art

Last week my sister was invited to a baby shower and she sent me a quick text asking for a creative gift idea. I usually prefer the hand made, something no one has one just like it kind of gift, so I told her I’d have to think on it and get back to her. Sadly the idea came to me the day after the shower so she didn’t get to use it. Bummer! {sorry sis!} On the up side, now I get to share it with you! :) My DIY growth chart that doubles as wall art…

There are a couple of trends that I’m loving right now and wanted to incorporate in this project… pallet art and thick horizontal stripes. Here is how it came together…

First, I enlisted some help from one of the handy guys in the office. {thanks Ben!} He attached the 3 smaller pieces of wood to the back of the two 4′ pieces with some everyday Elmer’s glue and several screws.

You’ll notice in those photos that we used new wood for this project. When it comes to pallet art, I prefer to buy new wood and make it look old rather than use actual pallets.{you just never know where they have been}  To make the wood look aged, Ben distressed it with a hammer, nails and some sand paper.  Then, to achieve the rusty grey color, we made a mixture of steel wool and vinegar and let it sit for several hours. Then he brushed the mixture onto the wood and let it dry. {color will vary depending on wood and number of coats applied}
Next I measured out 6 inch stripes and taped them off with painters tape. Then I painted them in with a mixture of acrylic paint and water.

After the paint was dry I drew the lines for feet and inches with a sharpie, using a tape measure as my guide.

Next I created a vinyl stencil for the numbers with my CAMEO and adhered them to the board using the transfer tape. Then I painted the numbers with black acrylic paint, let them dry and removed the vinyl stencil.

At this point it is ready to hang and measure the kiddos! There are lots of ways to add a child’s measurements to the chart, but to match the look I was going for I thought it would be fun to hang a “dog tag” with the name, age, date and height on an eye hook. So, I marked each height with a pen and went back to my computer. I opened the dog tag shape into Silhouette Studio and filled it with a grey color. Then, I typed in the stats and filled the text with off white.

Next I turned on the registration marks and printed the image. Then I put the printed paper on my mat just as it shows in the Silhouette Studio, loaded the mat into the CAMEO and cut my shape.
Once the tag was cut, I screwed the eye hook into the board where I had previously marked with my pen and hung the tag.  Here is a close up photo…LOVE the distressing and how clean the painted numbers came out too. :)

Here in Utah it is a rainy/windy day. Perfect weather for staying inside and doing some crafting! :) Have a great Monday!!

42 thoughts on “DIY growth chart/wall art

1. Kristen says:

I’m loving this! I made something similar with my silhouette sd…but would love to get the cameo!

2. That’s cute, but would only be a great gift if the mommy-to-be had a silhouette or were willing to keep making the tags for her each time

3. becca says:

You could easily modify this as a gift without the worry of making/re making the tags. Include a sharpie and collection of pre-cut tags for the mommy to hand write the stats. Or write directly on the board with a sharpie each time. You would end up with a cute board marked up each time someone was measured.

Super cute idea!

4. It’s gorgeous! I love it and thanks, I might just do something similar!!

5. Sapp Family says:

I love all the Silhouette projects you guys feature on here! Now if only I could get my hands on one…. :)

6. Tatertots & Jello sent me! Love this project.

7. This is such a unique way to track growth, and I love that it could move from place to place!

8. Gisela says:

Maravilhoso!!!!

9. Laura Meeks says:

Oh this is cute! I made one by hand – and it was more labor intensive doing the numbers the way I did than you guys suggest!

10. Love the rustic look and feel of this growth chart. Thanks!

11. Judy says:

That’s a super cute project. I want to make something similar for my nephew’s room. I am pinning this one.

12. Kim says:

I love this.. especially if you move, you can take it with you! (I’m visiting from Tatertots and Jello)

13. Ashley T. says:

This is so cute! Love it!

14. Angie Alford says:

great idea , so cute !

15. Linh C. says:

Love the dog tag idea too!

16. we were just talking about how we should do something like this!!!!

17. Nitasha says:

This is simply awesome! I’m sure the baby shower party goers were in awe of this one of a kind gift!

18. What a cute idea! It would fit in well with any decor!

19. Heather says:

I LOVE your Silhouette Blog and machine!! Tatertots Jello sent me. I am your newest follower!!

20. Eveline says:

This looks great!
    Eveline.

21. Nunazuna says:

I love all these ideas and have seen similar ideas on Pinterest and would love to make them for myself and as gifts. Thanks for sharing!

22. Janet says:

Cool project!

23. Shaeli says:

I love this idea and the simplicity of it! I also love that it can move with you :)

24. mrsalf97 says:

My inlaws just painted over my children’s growth chart while we were away. :o( I’m going to make one like this…as soon as I win a Silhouette.

25. ~april says:

love this idea because you can take it when you move!

26. Deebi27 says:

What a cute idea…not for me, but for my classroom. what fun!!! And really rather simply…my style!

Hey there Tatertots & Jello blog…I am here to stay…great ideas and I would love to win/use a new Silhouette Cameo to make this goodie and sooo much more!

thanks!

27. StacieJayne says:

I LOVE this idea! The dogtag adds a special touch! ;>

28. Oh my, what a wonderful project!

29. crystal b. says:

Super cute idea, but I think you could improve it by hammering a little metal tag onto the chart. That way, little kids (and big kids alike) won’t remove them. If you have more than one kid, you sort of lose track when things like that get lost.

Can’t wait to make one of these for a shower gift! Thanks for the idea.

30. Megan says:

what font did you use for the numbers? I love this look!

Thanks Megan! :) The font is called “stencil”.

31. Charlie Ann says:

What did you use to actually attach it to the wall? It seems far to thick to hammer through, and too heavy for picture hangers.

I used two picture hangers, one on each side. :)

32. I love this look! I have made a few growth charts kinda like this before, but I love the pallet/distressed look! getting ready to try it this week….could you explain the steel wool and vinegar step a little more?? I want to make sure I buy the right stuff! Also…ps…the ones I have made I use acrylic paint pens to mark the growth, works really well (although not as cute as your tags!)
    Kristin

Thanks Kristin, If you take a small jar and fill it with vinegar, then add steel wool to it (not the kind with the cleaner mixed in) and let it sit for several hours, even over night would be good. Then, “paint” the wood with that vinegar mixture which will give it the grey brown color. Hope that helps :)

33. Love this growth chart! So cool! I’m about to make a similar one out of old barn wood and was hoping you could help me with one small detail: How did you decide which number to start on/where in the white zones did you add the foot Markings? How far off the floor did you have this hang?

Thanks!

34. Janssen says:

Hi,

I’m doing a round-up post on Disney Baby about DIY Growth Charts and wondered if I could include yours. I’d just use one photo (with the photo credited to you) plus link back to your site for the full instructions. Would that be okay?

Thanks,
    Janssen
    everyday-reading.com

1. Jeana G says:

Sure! That would be fine. :) Thanks for asking!

35. Johnk873 says:

whoah this blog is fantastic i really like studying your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You understand, many individuals are looking around for this info, you could aid them greatly. dffekaeeecee