Stenciled Baby Announcement Pillow

Beckie headshot 1211
Hi Silhouette fans my name is Beckie and I am a tri-blogger at:

Today I thought I would show you a personalized project that you can make for a new mom.  It is an adorable birth announcement pillow that I found at Uncommon Goods.  With the Silhouette Cameo machine this project is so easy.

pillow 3

Supplies:

Silhouette Cameo

Vinyl

Vinyl transfer

fabric ink

paint brush

sewing machine with coordinating thread

pins

fabric (I chose canvas)

12” x 12” pillow insert

1.  I started out in my Silhouette studio program designing the words for the pillow.  I used Arial and Arial Black for my font.

Silhouette Studio Screenshot
2.  Next I cut out the vinyl with my Silhouette studio program and used the hook to remove all the letters from the backing.  Then with fabric transfer tape I transferred the vinyl onto a 13” x 13” piece of fabric and burnished it down so I wouldn’t have any paint leakage.

vinyl collage
3.  Then I painted the fabric ink onto the letters.  I let it dry for about 5 minutes and then put another coat on.  When using light ink on darker fabric I always do two coats.

painted fabric
4.  When it was dry I pulled all the vinyl off of the fabric.  Then using a press cloth I ironed it to set the ink.

font fabric
5.  I cut two more pieces of my fabric to 9” x 13”.  I pressed under the long edge 1/4” and then 1/2” and then sewed it down.  I did that to both pieces.

fabric two
6.  Then I laid my painted fabric face up and laid the two other pieces overlapping on top of that (right side facing the painted fabric).  Then I pinned it all in place.

7.  Then I sewed all the way around the edge using a 3/8” seam.  I clipped the corners and turned it right side out.  Then I slipped your 12” x 12” pillow form inside.

pillow
pillow 3
pillow 4
For more ideas using your Silhouette to make pillows click here and check out my pillow collection.
Here is one I just put out today for the rest of the month since President’s Day is next week.  Check out the penny button details!

presidents day pillow

22 thoughts on “Stenciled Baby Announcement Pillow

1. Oh what a super fun project. I love using my cameo to cut out stencils. Now I love finding something new to paint! :)

2. Carolyn says:

i love it. a treasure for new parents!

3. beanblossom says:

Love this pillow, but i’ve had a heck of a time transferring that detailed and large of a piece of vinyl on to fabric without a bunch of wrinkles that no amount of burnishing can fix. Do you have any tips/tricks? I just end up using freezer paper for my stencils, which is okay except for having to place all those inside letter pieces in the A, O, B, etc..

PS I am in Indy area too! (Carmel) and had a pillow featured here on this blog before! We should have a Silhouette Craft Party! So few people here know about it! :)

1. I know this might seem like a silly question but are you using the transfer tape? I only ask this because I know a lot of people that don’t know that you don’t just peel off the vinyl and stick it to your surface you actually transfer it with tape. I never get bubbles in my projects so that is why I ask. Also the easiest way to avoid bubble is to do a taco and set the middle of your image down first and then burnish it (press firmly to adhere) left and right. I hope that helps.I would love to connect with you i am in Greenwood!

4. Shay says:

i love this! my daughter’s name is Ava and she was born May 17th too!

1. Wow what a coincidence. CRAZY!

5. lclough says:

LOVE this!!! Thank you SOOO much for such a wonderful set of directions …quick question..what is burnishing? I’d like to try this ..know someone expecting soon!

1. Burnishing is a fancy word for pressing down firmly by apply pressure with a credit card or another object.

6. WOW…Love this…TFS. I only wish this blog had a subscription button to subscribe to so that I can receive your posts in my email as soon as you post them :-(

7. Oh my…where did you get those images?? I have been looking for something like this to decorate my car. Every holiday I decorate the back window of my van with images! Come on over and check out my Valentines decked out Van! :-)

8. What a cute idea! I love how easy and personalized this gift is. Thanks for sharing Beckie!

1. You are welcome thanks for commenting on it @kara.

wow that is great idea too for favors!!!

10. dawnaclark says:

AHHHHH! Thank you for the great tutorial! Pinned it…of course!

11. I wish I could see a picture of how your rollers are set. I can’t get my vinyl to sit in there without running cockeyed. And my software doesn’t look like this. It makes me turn the design sideways for some reason. I have yet to get it to work right. I hope one day to do this sort of thing. It’s awesome!

12. What a fun baby gift! I don’t usually do sewing, but I’m stashing this idea away for later. (You never know.)

13. Nelda says:

Oh my goodness! I live in Indianapolis and I think this is my friend’s granddaughter (she is also named Dalia but her daughter goes by another name). OH, what a small world!! neldacnm at yahoo

14. jeni says:

So cute! How long did it take for the ink to dry? I got the fabric ink starter kit and am working on a project now.

15. Chris says:

Hi Jeana, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

16. Zima says:

This is fabulous! And a great tutorial. Thank’s!

17. jtp513 says:

Where do you purchase Transfer Tape and do you have a brand preference? Love your projects!

You can purchase the transfer tape here http://silhouetteamerica.com/vinyl.aspx you can choose either 12″ or 9″ under the vinyl color selections. :)