Addressing envelopes made easy!

We recently had a reader ask if you can address envelopes using the sketch pens. Good idea right?! The answer… yes, yes you can!

Here’s a quick how-to.
First, open your envelope shape. Then using the font tool, type in the name and address in your desired font. {I found the sans serif fonts work best for the small print}

Next, select just the envelope shape. In the cut style window, select “no cut”.

Next, select the name/address and in the cut style window select “cut edge”.

Replace the blade in your machine with a sketch pen, and select sketch pen in your cut settings. Now, click “sent to Silhouette” like normal. This is going to just sketch the address. {LOVING the cut style window!}

Once the address is sketched, leave your mat loaded, go back to your design, select the name and address and “no cut”. Then, select the envelope and “cut edge”, and you are done. Easy peasy!

I can see using this trick to address bridal shower or wedding invitation and adding some sketched flourishes or flowers in the corner of the envelope. I love a good, creative time saver!

24 thoughts on “Addressing envelopes made easy!

1. Bryana P says:

This would look even better in a ‘sketch font’ . . Can you please tell whoever is in charge that we NEED more sketch fonts??!! They’re the best – but there are only 2 :(

2. does this work with the regular silhouette software or only the designer software?

3. Deb says:

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

4. Jen says:

That’s so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait until my cameo comes!!!!!!!!!!

5. Nicki says:

wow, duh! I never even thought of this.

Christensen – it can definitely be done with the Silhouette SD and the regular software, but I’ll let the blog owner respond in detail.

6. lindsay k. says:

that’s such a neat idea! now i need some sketch pens!

7. Unknown says:

The sketch function is awesome… I need to use it more! Thanks for the inspiration…

8. It was with great desire and need to learn to use the pens! Thank you!

9. Don’t forget to swap the sketch pen for the blade after changing the cut lines. That should be an obvious step, but it’s amazing how many times you can forget it! :)

10. Karen W says:

I am going to try this with thebirthday card I’m making.

11. Rosalie says:

Thank you very much for the tip, i’ll certainly be giving it a go! x

12. Windie says:

can the Cameo use the pen holder?

13. Sheena says:

Hooray! Thanks!

14. meredemaison says:

Love this! (Too bad we couldn’t draw a stamp on there, too;-)!

15. Cool idea. You could also slap a ready made envelope on your mat and address it this way.
    I have links to a bunch of free “single line” fonts here. http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com.ttfs-for-diecutting#penfonts

16. Wow, never thought about doing this…Great idea! And, by the way, welcome, Jeana! Can’t wait to see what else you come up with…So far, so good! Thanks so much!

17. Jane says:

Very cool trick!

which fonts are the “sketch” fonts? i need single line please and thanks.

19. Kat says:

This is very nice, I would like to know how to get text onto the images that are not print and cut. Just using the software and then send to silhouette with text on top the image that won’t be cut out is this possible? I cannot find any information on this topic and I am new to the Silhouette Cameo. Is this topic talked about anywhere in your blog? Thanks in advance! I am trying to put text on earring holders that I bought in the SC shop online with my monthly subscription.

20. dawnaclark says:

Thanks for the amazing tutorial!!

21. DLThompson06 says:

I recently did this with my daughter’s graduation open house invitations, but I used ready made envelopes and printed both the address (on the front) as well as the return address (on the envelope flap). Here’s how I did it (hope this makes sense): first, I measured the envelope, then I used the software to create a rectangle of the same size and place it in the middle of an 8 1/2 x 11″ page. I changed the settings so that the rectangle would print instead of cut, and I also set the registration marks to show. Then I sent it to my printer. After that, I manually (with a pair of scissors) cut out a smaller rectangle within the printed rectangle. Then I pressed the sheet of paper (with the rectangular-shaped hole in it) onto my cutting mat. Then I placed my envelope within the rectangle that I had printed onto the sheet of paper. It will stick to the mat since you cut the hole into the sheet of paper. Now just go into your software and type the address wherever you want it, using one of the single-line fonts (I used League Script, free from fontsquirrel.com). Make sure you are set to use the sketch pen, not the blade. The Cameo will read the registration marks so the text will print exactly where you want it. It really is easy, and if you have two cutting mats, like I do, it’s a quick job, even when doing 50 or more. Just swap one envelope out while the other is printing, type in the new address, and you’re ready for the next one!

1. winnyellie says:

Ok that is brilliant! Thank you so much, I have a wedding’s worth of envelopes to address.

Do you have to type in each address? It would be so much easier to copy-and-paste it from my list. I know Studio isn’t advanced enough (yet!) for database, but I’m still learning how to use the features to my best advantage.