Tutorial: Vinyl

Here we go another great tutorial for you to get started using vinyl with your Silhouette.  I have been talking about all the really great starter kits that we now have available and along with them you will find an idea book and instructions on how to get started.  Here is a sneak peek and the basic instructions.

Insert vinyl into your Silhouette and cut the design from your Silhouette Studio Software.

Once that is done you will remove the negative/excess vinyl in a process we called weeding.

The next step is to place the transfer paper on top of the  vinyl design and using the scraper smooth the transfer paper onto the vinyl.

Peel away the transfer paper and you will see that the vinyl is stuck to it.  You can then place your vinyl/transfer paper media onto your project.

Again using the scraper tool and smooth onto your project.  In this case I am making a home decor plaque so I will be adhering it to a wooden board I have covered in paper and mod podged.  Peel away the transfer paper to reveal your design.

Here is the final project all finished and purty!

27 thoughts on “Tutorial: Vinyl

thanks for the tut!
    ~carolyn

2. Amy says:

Thank you! Can anyone tell me what color needle cap is needed for vinyl cutting?

3. Kathleen says:

This is exactly what I was looking for! So, no mat needed? Are you able to cut bigger than 8 1/2 by 11? Do I cut the vinyl to 8 1/2 x 11 as well….so many questions, but anxious to try!!

4. Karen W says:

Great tutorial! This has inspired me to get my vinyl out again.

Karen

5. Ashley says:

Amy – I always use the blue cap and have had excellent results! If you’re unsure about your settings, do a test cut. The blade should cut through the vinyl, but NOT the backing.

Kathleen – If you’re using a large design and intend to use the full width of the vinyl, you don’t need to use a mat. However, if you’re using a smaller design on a smaller piece of vinyl, you’ll need to use the mat! (If I’m using a smaller design, I tend to cut my vinyl to match – less waste!) Make sense? Also, the Silhouette can only cut up to 8 1/2 wide, but you’re able to go longer on the length. If you want to cut wider than 8 1/2, wait for the Cameo, which will cut up to 12 inches!

Good luck!

6. Lara says:

Will the Cameo be able to cut vinyl with out the cutting mat? That is one down fall to a 12″ wide cutter I have right now.

7. Traci says:

Lara- yes you can cut vinyl without a mat on the cameo.

Thanks Ashley for providing feedback…you are right. Blue cap is the right one for vinyl.

8. Ahhh, I love the distressed paper background underneath the vinyl! This is another fabulous project!

9. Kerri says:

Awesome!!! Now just hurry up and release that Cameo:)

10. I am ready to do the vinyl…. I would like to make mine longer than the 11″ how do I do that?

11. CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [09 Aug 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Hello Connie… Just go up to the page settings. Fourth icon from right on top. You can adjust the width and height there. Easy peasy…

13. HELP!! I have attempted this project three times now… each time, using the blue cap, vinyl setting without the carrier… and each time, my vinyl has either 1) letters detached from the backing and got all hung up in the machine or 2) the blade cut all the way through the backing! What am I doing wrong?

14. Pootle says:

Jamie, I find the automated settings for vinyl apply too much pressure so I always have to decrease the speed and the thickness for both vinyl and heat transfer vinyl. If you reduce both and do a test cut you should be able to find the right settings.

Would be great if you could do a tutorial on applying flocked vinyl. I find it irons on fine with small lettering etc but anything bigger and its a disaster. I was trying to iron on an image that was around 8×8 inches and it didnt work (despite more than one attempt) so I ruined over half a metre of flocked vinyl trying it out. :(

15. Stephanie Pezolet says:

If I have the first Silhouette model, can I cut the vinyl too, without using a mat?

Thanks a lot :)

16. Thanks Anonymous, duh, can you tell I am very new at this…. Tried it and everything worked perfectly!

Hi Connie, and other newbies,
    Seriously, no duh’s are necessary!
    Just Aha’s!!!
    When you have some free time, you should go on a short journey around your sil screen. You will be amazed at some of the settings and options that are included in this software. Just click an icon and it will show you all of it’s options. Have fun. I promise, you will have alot of Aha moments.

18. Mary says:

Where is the transfer paper from? The roll I bought from the Silhouette store is way too sticky.

19. TheSweetOne says:

I have a terrible time getting the vinyl to separate from the backing and stick to the transfer paper. When I finally do, I then can’t get the vinyl to let go of the tp to stick to my final project. Eventually I can but what should take just a minute can take far longer to the point of being frustrating. Any suggestions?

20. Can a Silhouette SD cut vinyl without using the mat?

21. Jenn says:

@TheSweetOne I went to a local vinyl/sign making store and bought some transfer paper and it works awesome!

@The Robinsons I use mine with no mat provided the piece of vinyl I am cutting is large if I am doing something little I use the mat

22. emjohnston says:

PERFECT timing… just finally got a Sil and want to do an etching project. Or the Huz does, at least. I have a whole Pinterest board of projects I want to make!
    Is there much of a difference when doing a glass etching?

23. Wow, this is amazing. Thanks for the idea

24. Bourg Family says:

Thank you! I finally did it!

25. Any tips on getting it to cut small letters well? As in small enough to go on a christmas ornament?

how do I make larger vinyl sayings and letters with the cameo

1. Jeana G says:

You can change the page size up to as long as your roll of vinyl in the Page window in Silhouette studio.