Tutorial: NEW Pattern Fills

This feature is a simple and super fun option the Silhouette Studio has to offer.  While I am sure you have seen and played around with the pattern fill options we are now making available to you more patterns.  You can purchase these in the store just like your shapes.

I love this, because if you don’t have the scraps of paper you wished you had you can simply use these patterns like a print and cut and you have a gorgeous paper ready to use.  Click here for the printable PDF file for your records!

Patterns:
crown_pattern_C00209_27175
geometric_pattern_C00208_27175

secret_garden_pattern_C00207_27175
central_park_flower_C00206_27175
heart_owl_C01095_20509
scallop_circle_ribbon_slider_C00049_24282

Font:
Cheri

16 thoughts on “Tutorial: NEW Pattern Fills

1. Becki says:

This is cool and everything but I would like the ability to use all my existing digital paper in Sil Studio, not have to use whats all ready available or purchase only through you. I like choices, yours, mine or whatever I happen like that day. Give us the ability to add our own and I might think about buying some of yours!

2. -Candi says:

I believe this is an option with the new paid software, that and being able to use .svg’s makes it a no brainer to me. I’ll be upgrading as soon as I get my Cameo this fall!

3. Marcy says:

Hi Becky and Candi,
    The My Patterns folder was added to the library menu some time ago, so I think that it is just a regular upgrade. I have been using my digital papers purchased from other websites for years. Just open that folder and drag the paper onto your workspace… It works as a fill or as a pattern that you can crop with an image also. Easy Peasy…Have fun, Marcy

P.S. Hello sil gang!!! Haven’t slept since I downloaded the new software… It’s awesome.
    Smooches from M.E.

4. Marcy says:

Hi Becky and Candi again,
    I forgot to add one of my favorite features about using my own digital papers. By using the fill option in the middle of the top row above the color choices(I think it looks like a dropper), you can fill any image to match any color on your digital paper perfectly. Give it a try… you will love this option too!!!

5. CurlyCraze says:

Marcy, Can you give more specifics about this statement: “It works as a fill or as a pattern that you can crop with an image also.”?

How do you crop an image out of the digital paper you drop onto the workspace? How would you use your paper to “fill” a shape with it?

Thanks!

6. Nelda says:

I have done what Marcy says but I would like the option of using my own (created or purchased) designs from within the Silhouette program as well.

7. Clare G says:

I already downloaded some of the new patterns, so excited I could squeal! The are awesome!

8. Nelda says:

Curly Craze, I add my shape, then File-Merge my pattern into the design. Select both and crop. It crops the pattern so that it is only in the shape itself.

9. Etcetorize says:

Ugh, I have so much to learn still. I have trouble getting my machine to cut imported images properly let alone trying to fill them. Practice makes perfect I guess~

10. Marcy says:

Hello CurlyCraze,
    The two options are kind of one in the same.
    Here is an easy way to learn…
    1) Draw a rectangle on your page. Go up to the file icon at the top of your page and open your digital paper folder. Mine is on my desktop labeled papers. I have to go to the “files of type” dropdown list and select “all” and then my papers show up. Now left click on one and drag it into the middle of the rectangle. That paper will now “fill” the rectangle. You can do this with any shape.
    My preferred option is
    2) Go to your digital paper file select one and open it onto your page by double clicking it.
    Now draw your rectangle on top of the digital paper. I like to do this because then I can choose which area of the paper I want to show on the rectangle. (For instance, if there was a specific flower on the paper that I want in the corner of my rectangle) Now choose both either by clicking and putting a box around both or a shortcut is to hold down the shift key and click on whichever images you want to select. That makes it easier when you are selecting multiple images. Once you have them selected go up to the modify option and select crop. Now your rectangle is filled with the design that you chose.
    Just play around with it… It is really very simple. You can do this with your fonts also, making each letter of whatever you’ve typed a different pattern. Just remember, now it is a print and cut so you need to use your registration marks. Have fun learning your sil…
    Smooches, Marcy

P.S.I’m not sure about Nelda’s technique, but it sounds like it does the same thing.

11. CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [30 Aug 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

12. Christie says:

Woo hoo! Love the new patterns (and the techniques posted here). Hint hint designers – I would love to see some lined paper and graph paper and more ledger patters :) My Silhouette just keeps getting better and better!

13. CurlyCraze says:

Nelda and Marcy – thanks for the details! I’ve got it working now :)

14. -Candi says:

I’ve also been importing my own images, however you can’t do all of the neat things with them yet (ie they don’t show up as the pre-existing or purchased ones do to scale etc) however from my understanding in the paid version of the software you can add your own and they will be customizable just as the purchased and pre-existing ones are in the free version.

15. Gina says:

I was just playing with importing digital papers and discovered that you can scale them. They do not show up in the pattern fill area, however once the pattern fill window is open, you can click on advanced options and use them on your own digital papers.
    I am very excited to make this discovery!

16. Judy says:

This is so cute. I would love to own one of these Silhouette machines. I have a cricut expression now. Maybe in the future I may be able to purchase on of these:) When you get a chance stop by my blog.