Tutorial: Print and Cut

Ok, I’ve debated all day to spill a confession, but I guess I am going to take the plunge and do it! If you have been following me from the beginning you know that my hubby is in Grad School becoming the worlds most amazing Physical Therapist…yes…the greatest! *giggle*  Anyhow, my role now is to  keep everyone eating and warm therefore juggling Jobs and school carpool, babysitters and household duties, which by the way my man does a great job at helping with the house and meals, but sometimes I want my baseboards clean…ya know.  Ok on to the confession.  Amidst it all the Tooth fairy forgot to come last night. AGH!!!  Darn it, I really have been trying so hard to keep it together and I straight missed the tooth fairy.

So on to the fix.  I always put the tooth in a small ziploc baggy for a quick getaway, but I only had gallon sized ones, so my answer to her this morning was…the bag must have been to big and her little eyes couldn’t see it.  Yikes…not super smooth, but hey on the fly that’s what I went with.  So today I am making a Tooth Fairy envelope just the perfect size for the tooth.

You can cut this out individually but I am going to show you how to create a custom print and cut from  a regular cut shape.  This is a tutorial I have already done before but I’m teaching you something new in this one.

I am working with shape: tooth_fairy_C00502_20508.  Once I have it downloaded I import it into my artboard to get working on it.  First I will ungroup it. So that I can fill individual elements with color.

Ok now you may be curious as to why I am grouping things back together.  I am wanting to fill the pieces individually so I need to make sure that the elements that go together stay grouped together. In some cases you may need to make pieces compound paths, so that they maintain the “holes” that were originally created.

Here is an example of using compound paths.  I also moved the pieces into categories based on what types of fills I would be using.  I like to use a combination between solid and gradient fill.

Select the piece you would like to fill and then go up to the fill options and start adding color.

Now that our fill is complete we can change the color of the lines so they are no longer red.  GO up to line color and change it to transparent.

Time to start putting the pieces of the puzzle together.  You can see that the “bangs” of my little fairy are no longer in front.  This is because it is only a cut line and not an actual shape.  We can turn this into an individual shape by drawing a line using our line drawing tool on the left hand toolbar.

Once this is complete we need to join the line and the “bang” line.  Right now the software only recognizes them as individual lines.  By selecting them both a turning them into a compound path you will be able to use the edit mode cursor to join them together.  This will then allow you to fill the shape with color and then place on top of the cute little fairy face.

You also have the ability to move and shape using the edit point mode.  I needed to raise the height to hide some of the face.  Simply drag one of the anchor points (little square boxes).

Alright lets put this puzzle together.  Place all the pieces where you would like them and then we will prep for cutting! You can see I have left the wings out, I will be cutting them from transparency and adhering them to the back.

Add your registration marks to prep for print and cutting.  Now its time to print lets start by selecting the cut settings.  It will default to “cut” Which will cut every piece out, I want the edge to cut, so we select the shape and then select “cut edge”  in the settings.  This will ensure only the fairy is cut out and not everything in between.

Next is to make sure the little details on her face print out.  By default any cut line is not printed, because no one wants red cut lines all over their gorgeous print and cut. You can change this by clicking on line style.  Down at the bottom you will see the option box to print lines of selected shapes.  Make sure those shapes are selected.

Lets get this little cutie cut out! Send to your Silhouette and follow the print and cut prompts and you will have your shape!

Ok here is the end result, I’m not sure if you can tell, but to the left of our little fairy you can see a transparency envelope that I created using  shape: pocket_envelope_C02775_1. Also the tooth is from our little Tooth Fairy’s dress, I just resized it to be the size I wanted and cut it out to back all our little elements.  Ooh and look at the amazing glitter flourishes in the background, that is the amazing new paper from American Crafts!

Ok maybe I can be redeemed a little?? =} Welcome to the week everyone!  Happy Monday!

tooth_fairy_C00502_20508
1_piece_flourish_C00516_20509
pocket_envelope_C02775_1

35 thoughts on “Tutorial: Print and Cut

1. Devonay says:

Don’t feel too bad. It happens to the best of us! I had to think quickly on my feet a time or two back when my girl was still at the Tooth Fairy age.

2. bell family says:

hey I have am pretty sure the toothfairy has missed our house a few times so don’t feel to bad.

3. Marcy says:

Good recovery Traci!!!
    Very cute project too…

4. SewCalGal says:

Great project. So many ways to use this. Love the idea for cards, decorating bags, scrapbooks, etc. But also think this would be fun to do via printing on fabric and turning into quilts, wallhangings, totes, etc.

SewCalGal

5. Jennifer says:

Oh, that’s really cute and I’m sure your child will be delighted! Fun!

6. This is DARLING. And Traci, I know EXACTLY what you are going through, my husband is 3 years out of PT school, and you COULD NOT pay me to go back. Hang in there! I am sure he is going to be great!

7. Shirley says:

Thank you for this tutorial. I haven’t ever done a print and cut before tonight but thanks to you I made some adorable cupcake toppers for my daughter’s birthday party this Saturday! :)

8. CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [08 Mar 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

9. Jennifer says:

This is adorable! And I’m laughing so hard because she forgot to come to my house last night too! My son decided she must have had too many teeth last night, so he moved his “tooth plate” to an easier to see location and drew a huge arrow on paper with the words “rite here!” I hope she makes it tonight…to both houses :)

10. This is great, and I have really wanted to know what print and cut means. But I have a question. You wrote “Send to your Silhouette and follow the print and cut prompts” but I have no idea what this means. I don’t see any print and cut prompts. Can you advise? Thanks so much!

11. Wow, would my daughter love this one! The tooth fairy forgot to come visit her a couple of months ago, too. I can’t remember what excuse I gave, but she was very forgiving.

I love that the Silhouette software can let us fine tune so many details and pieces to get the project just right. Good luck juggling everything, Traci!

12. Kathy says:

Oh how adorable, Traci! My granddaughter is only 20 months right now but I’m going to make one for her future “tooth fairy visits” And just FYI, what we did when the tooth fairy “forgot” was to go into the kids bedrooms, if they were still in bed, with money in our hands, we would scoop their heads putting our hand inside the pillow case and discreetly place the money there. They were none the wiser. If they were up already, we would ask them if they looked everywhere and then go into their room, put the money in the pillowcase then shake the pillow case, letting the money fall to the ground calling for them to “come see” what we found!! Worked like a charm, til they got older anyway:)

13. Rhadonda says:

Seems very complicated but thanks for the tutorial to someday give it a try. Very cute.

It’s cute but my silhouette cuts where ever it wants to- not on the printed lines. I’ve tried many different things and googled the problem- it seems that lots of other silhouette owners have the same issue. I tried calling support several times with no answer. Very frustrating. Help?

15. Marcy says:

Hello anonymous…
    It’s so sad that you aren’t able to do print and cuts… They are so much fun!!! I’m certain it is a simple little fix. If you email support, they are very prompt at getting back to you. Does your sil even read the registration marks on the paper? I promise… It’s worth getting it figured out.

16. Maureen says:

Ah, those were the days. Amazingly, the tooth fairy did remember to come to our house last year after my 17 yr old had her wisdom teeth removed. :)

hi-
    would you happen to have (or cld point to) a print and cut tutorial employing *text*? i used the dino card (dino_card_C00943_18816)and wanted to just print the party details on the card, but was unsure how to deal with adding text. full admission: they were small – i had 4 on a page. i was pressed for time so i printed and pasted text on the card, rather than experiment. wasn’t beautiful, but would love to know what to do going forward. thanks for all the tutorials.
    mare

Back to the tooth fairy – very cool. fairies at our house often come um, randomly: the tooth fairy, the pick-up fairy etc. so not to worry!
    regarding the tooth – did you add the brown lines coming from the border? how?
    -mari

19. Thank you for the tutorial. Did I miss the PDF somewhere? I thought you were going to do that so it was easier to save and print out. Thanks. Donna

20. Mare,

For text you use the same features in this tutorial for fill colors and line colors. Just make sure you select your text and choose “no cut” for the text in the cut style window.

Hope that helps!

21. Lydia A. says:

Thanks for the tutorial! The fairy is adorable.

22. Traci says:

There isn’t a PDF tutorial on this one. I will be doing them every now and then. I will for sure post if I have a PDF for it. You can also periodically check the link I gave originally to see if there are any new PDF’s. Thanks a bunch for your question!

23. I was wondering if you could do a tutorial (or point me to one) that shows how to use my own images like from digital scrapbook supplies for a print and cut. I am having trouble adding cut lines. The trace feature/button is hard to understand. Thanks

AHHHHHHHHHHH. “NO CUT!” Thanks!
    I will endeavor to make thank you notes for after the dino party ;-)
    Mare

25. What kind of printer do you use? I LOVE the print quality.

Your tooth fairy is adorable. I am so afraid of cut and print as even my simple tasks don’t work out…I switched to the new software from robo, am sure I will love it once I learn it…tried to read all the new manual…am still very new..had same problems with cutting all over the page, but directions did fix that however….I get my layout (example)…place cards and want to print a name on them and send it to the printer but it does not line up on the cutter (it’s off in both horizontal and vertical) How do I (sync..not sure if that is correct term) the printer with the cutter lines..if I use both while designing my projects will waste a lot of paper. Why don’t the print and cut lines line up? or what am I doing wrong?

27. lesha says:

way too cute
    alesha kelley

28. beth says:

Hey, guys. Hoping one day I will win one of these great machines! I love this blog.

29. New follower! Love the ideas here! I hope I win one of these!! <3

I would like a Tutorial on the use of Compound Paths…what are they and how they are used. None of this was in the original Robo Master Program and it is quite perplexing to have the options mentioned with no explanation of why and what they do and examples given.

Would appreciate Tutorial on this specific issue

31. Eddie Storms says:

I think this is just what I need right now: an outlet for my creativity. I’ve been so stressed with work lately that I need to let some steam off by working on something like that. I got an idea: what about a tooth fairy for dental implants? LOL! Atlanta could use something like that. Well, that fairy better be rich; implants cost a fortune!

32. Oh my gosh! This is perfect. I was looking for ideas on how to celebrate my daughter’s first visit to the dentist, and this paper craft is the answer to my current problem, since she likes Tooth Fairy.

33. That’s what you called artwork.

It’s so cool..I like it!

I agree with eddie about dental implants.. lol

34. printer cartridges
    WOW! what a beautiful idea. Thank you so much for posting that!

35. Pretty good list of tutorials, thanks!