FREE download of the week

pocket_envelope_C02775_1

I am super excited about this shape.  It was a user suggestion in the store and I love darling little enclosures like this.  I also have quite a few friends who happen to be either getting married or marrying off their children.  So, of course this suggestion is brilliant!

I wanted to explain my favorite part in creating this hot little number.  Silhouette Studio allows you to create everything start to finish before cutting out your project.  I love the flexibility of being a able to resize, rotate, add text layer, etc…  Here is a screen shot of what the final project looked like before I cut and sketched it.  I typed out my text and then filled it with color making this a print and cut.  I also added the floral element to the card.  I did not want it to be a print and cut as well, so I kept it a “cuttable” shape and sketched it with our gorgeous silver metallic pen.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with our sketch pens, you remove the blade from the Silhouette and insert the pen in its place.  It moves along the same paths the blade would giving you a super fun handmade look!  It works just like the blade, instead of cutting the shape it sketches it.

If you are the type that likes to design and create everything and of course realize your amazing talent and potential, truly the Silhouette will bring it all to life.  I will continue to teach you new techniques each week and you will be amazed at what you have created.  Pretty soon it will be second nature!  Drop by the store and pick up this free shape, it is definitely a great basic to have.

In your Software click on your purchase online button in the left-hand side bar and on the very first page of  the store you will see the button above that will allow you to click on it and it will ask you to add it to your cart.  Once it does that you will need to purchase it for “FREE” and it will automatically import it into your library.  Have a magnificent day!

50 thoughts on “FREE download of the week

1. Ooh, I love it! What a classy card and envelope. Thanks for the freebie!

2. Sasha says:

Now this freebie… is right up my street!! Love it! Love it! Thank You! xx

3. Jennifer says:

I love this…I can’t wait to pick up the freebie and try this idea out.

4. Scrapsweetie says:

I got this last night, and my only question is… why is it that when you open it as a new project that it is too big for the cuttable area? I guess I would think that it would only load as large is can be cut by the sil. It’s slightly depressing to have it open in a size too large to even cut =(, so I had to make it smaller…..

Scrapsweetie,
    If you orient your page to portrait(page settings at top of screen) then you don’t have to resize for 12″ paper. Just ungroup(bottom left) and cut the card from a different sheet. Have fun…

Nice card. Can you please tell me name of the font ypu have used on it?

7. Marcy says:

How lovely…
    My favorite FREEBIE yet…
    I actually giggled when I saw it…
    Thanks sil gang…

8. Sheena says:

I love this freebie! My hubby just gave me a silhouette for Christmas and I’ve been trying to decide what my first big craft project will be. Maybe I’ll have to make some cute cards. :)

9. pam says:

The invitation is GORGEOUS!

10. Lisa says:

Did you print onto the card using a regular printer first? And then use the Silhouette to sketch on the card? I’m brand new to my machine and I am still learning, but I’d LOVE to make something similar!

Ditto on font question. What did you use?

12. Laura says:

In the previous software you could change the line color and set certain lines to be cut. I loved this feature and haven’t been able to find a way to do it with the new studio. Is it possible?

LOVE it!!!! I’m also just got my Silhouette for Christmas and this has me singing!!!! I can already see a cute Valentine’s card in the making. Thank you!!!!

14. Laura,
    It’s even easier in this software! At the top there are buttons for fill color, line color, line style, cut style, etc. There are also great tutorials on this blog for print and cut tips that include changing line and fill colors.

15. Beautiful file and love the tutorials, this program is marvelous and easy for folks new to the machine cutting world, thank you.

16. CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [06 Jan 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

17. Jayna Rae says:

I love your freebies. Now I just actually need a silhouette.

18. C says:

Forgive me…How do I download or save the file here. I can’t see the link. This looks fantastic! Thanks

19. I agree wth C I can’t seem to download the free files. I have missed out on so many.
    What is the secret?

20. Chris says:

I don’t know how to get the files either. Help us newbies out!!

21. LWal says:

Love the freebie..TX Silhouette!

22. Traci says:

To those of you curious about how to get the free shape, please read the bottom of this post. Thanks!

23. Traci says:

Fonts: Copperplate Gothic Light & Sloop Script

Lisa- yes I printed the invitation first and then I sketched on top of it. I also thought about just printing registration marks first, sketching and then re-printing the registration marks and the invitation text. I am not sure how that would work out, but since I was using the silver pen, I didn’t think it would over power the dark font. So I did it that way. Good luck on your project!

1. SarahD says:

I know its been over a year sing you originally posted this tutorial but do you remember where you got the flower? I can’t seem to find it on the Silhouette site and I really love it.
      Thanks!

24. chellrie says:

This is an absolutely gorgeous invitation! I’m curious about the shading on the envelope. How did you do that? Is it a distressing ink? How do you apply it. I just love this!

25. Barbara says:

A little off topic, but can I add text into a shape, print the text, then cut out the shape ( print inside)? I have a shape that I want to use as a label, but, no matter the font, the text looks like an outline. I read somewhee to remove the outline on the font, but I can’t find thst function. Thanks for any help.

26. Krissa says:

This is a great freebie! Thanks. As a new user I am having lots of problems. Primarily my printer won’t print the words. It only prints the registration marks. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

27. Barbara and Krissa, you may both have the same issue. When you have your text selected, go up to the “cut style” button at the top (looks like scissors with a red line). Make sure your text is selected as “no cut.”

Barbara, you can just fill your text with a color/pattern/gradient (also nearby buttons at the top) and they will print as shown. The part that will be cut after printing should show a thick red outline when in the “cut style” menu.

28. Amanda says:

Is there a way to change this flat card into a folded card? I have found the perforated cut style in the cut styles menu and I was wondering if I duplicate the card front and somehow stick it to the “top” of the card (weld?) and then change the cut line to a perforated line, would that work? I love the look and shape of this and would like to make notecards with it. Thanks!

I got my Silhouette just before Christmas and I have had so much fun playing with it!

29. Amanda, it’s probably simplest to just double the width (or length, depending on your page orientation) of the outer card in the scale window; then draw a line inside, center it, and make it a perforated cut line. Those steps are touched on in the Nov. 1st tutorial.

30. Amanda says:

Thanks Kelly! That sounds like a great way to do it! :) I knew if I asked, someone would have a simpler solution.

ok i have been reading and reading and i am very confused.. i want to create the same look you did in this card.. how do i go about printing and then cutting?? HELP:) i love this machine but i am having a hard time figuring out some of it:(
    jessica

jls12783@hotmail.com

32. Jessica, check out the print and cut tutorials (see labels to the right) on this blog. Traci did a couple in October with the current software that should be very helpful.

Hey krafting Kelly i am jessica (above comment)
    i went and looked at the “print and cut tutorials”
    is there any way i can do it all in the silhouette without going
    from my printer then to my machine? if i use the pens??

thank you so much!

34. Jessica,
    You won’t get the same look if you’re not using your printer for the type. The sketch pens do an “outline” as they draw, and type will be drawn as an outline unless you use your printer to get filled-in letters. Does that answer your question?

35. suzi.wollman says:

Where do I go to find the tutorials? I have LOTS of questions that are probably already addressed.

36. Suzi,
    Check out the Label links over on the right-hand side of this blog. Make sure you read the comments with those posts, because there’s a lot of question-and-answer discussion that goes on.

37. Ashley says:

I love this invitation! So elegant!

38. Melissa says:

Visiting from Lemon Tree Creations! I’m not engaged yet, but I hope to be one day, and I love the idea of this invitation!

39. heather says:

love this!!! i can use this shape to make custom cd/dvd cases for my photography biz!

40. Allie says:

WOW! That turned out really beautiful. I’m stopping by via I Heart Naptime.

41. April says:

Hi, I found this blog from the House of Smiths giveaway, today! I can’t wait to get a Silhouette and start having a way to use these cool freebees! :o)

I tried to get this today and it is no longer free, is there a reason why? Thanks.

43. Paige says:

How adorable! I absolutely love it! I’m coming over from Design Dazzle!

44. I did not know this blog was out here. I love it. I came over from Beneath My Heart. I have been wanting a Silhouette for a while and now want one even more.

45. tyson2468 says:

So pretty. Would love to give or receive :)

46. polyestHer says:

Is the flower that’s used in the invite available for purchase online through Silhouette? If so, what’s the name…I’d love to purchase the flower! Thanks!

I found the flower called, “flower”, and downloaded it. Now I’m having difficulty overlapping so the two bottom flowers are seamlessly overlapped. How did you do that?