Monday Tutorial

Today’s tutorial will go over a few techniques and show you how you can create custom shapes using the shapes you love.

I am going to start with a card base of 3.5″x5″ so this will be drawn as a 3.5″x10″ rectangle.  Using the skills from last weeks tutorial, I also created a perforated line down the middle for easy folding.

I want to overhang a leaf shape off the bottom right-side of my card.  So I want to create a mat for the shape instead of letting it overhang by itself.  The way I will do this is by importing the shape and placing it where I would like to mount it.  Using the offset feature, I adjust the parameters and apply the offset.  This will keep a nice outlined mat around my shape when I place it on my card.

I am now removing the original shape from the new offset path so that I can weld the offset to the base of my card.

To do this, I select the card rectangle and the leaf shape, go to the modify panel and select weld. It then merges the two shapes together.

I’m not quite done with playing around on the software, just yet.  I want to sketch a pattern onto the middle of my card, so I draw and rectangle in the middle and then import the shape I want to sketch.

Using the divide feature I select both the honeycomb pattern and the middle rectangle and then click on divide.  You will see it separate the shapes.  Remove everything except the newly created honeycomb rectangle.

For a final detail I add the text Give thanks to the top left of the honeycomb rectangle.  I will be sketching each of those items.

Right now all the shapes in my artboard are going to be cut out or sketched by the Silhouette.  I only want the honeycomb rectangle and the text sketched so I will go to the cutline options and select the card base and perforated line and set them to “no cut”.

I sketched that out and then went back to the cutline options again and applied “no cut” to the honeycomb rectangle and text.  Then I reapplied cut and perforate to the card base and middle fold line.  Now I can cut out my card and prepare the leaf embellishment for the side.

Here is the finished project.

I am anxious to hear about the questions you have about the new software.  Are you still hung up on any of the new features would you like to learn a little more about a specific feature in the software.  Give me you feedback.  I want you to enjoy the software and machine as they have been designed.  There is so much freedom that is given to you by owning your Silhouette!

Have a Happy Monday!

oak_leaf__acorns_C00661_19547
honeycomb_background_med_1787

Font:
Kenosha Antique NF

30 thoughts on “Monday Tutorial

1. I, for the life of me, can not figure out how to import and use my own designs or clipart not from the Silhouette library. Where is the outline feature? I’ve had to go back and use the old software for those projects. Other than that I love the new software!

2. Denise S says:

Thanks for all the tutorials. There’s so much to do on the Silhouette that I didn’t even know was possible! Such fun!!
    I am having issues with grouping/ungrouping though. I can ungroup a shape, make my changes, but then when I want to regroup it back together, it won’t let me. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

How fun to Sketch,Cut,Weld… I am trying to learn how to use all of the modify options… Trial and error… The unlimited “undo” button has made it alot more fun and easy to try new things… Thank you, can’t wait for more tutorials and inspiration… M.E.

4. susies1955 says:

Thanks. I’m loving the tutorials. I’ll be getting a Silhouette SD for Christmas so I’m trying to learn all I can. :)
    Susie

5. Cristina says:

I’ve only recently downloaded the new version of the software and I’m still learning my way around. I haven’t found the option to trace an image and create its outline like we could in the old software. I’d love to learn how it’s done in the new version! Thanks!

6. Cassie says:

I actually emailed Silhouette and asked about the outline feature. They are working on it and it will be available in one of the software updates. They are hoping for this month, the last time I asked. I am sure looking forward to it!

7. Traci says:

You are right Cassie…this is one of the greatest features the Silhouette has capabilities of. It will in fact be in a future update. As soon as I know when the update is available for that option I will for sure be doing a tutorial on it! Keep an eye out!

8. Lynness says:

I mostly create my own custom images and I would like to know what software you use for creating the templates in the store. I often use Inkscape and export .dxfs, but there are a lot more nodes in the resulting image in the Craft Robo software that I have to clean up so it will be smoother (and this is not yet supported in the Studio, as I understand it). Sometimes I just export a .png from Inkscape and convert it to a .jpg and then use the old outline feature, but that is very limited and needs cleaning up as well and I haven’t seen it available in the new. What do you do?
    Also, is there a way to convert fonts to paths (other than using the Inkscape capability and exporting the font as an image)? Sometimes I want to edit how letters connect before I weld them, etc.
    Thanks!

9. Jill M. says:

I’m trying to use the print feature with nested shapes typing my journaling. When I start typing a few lines, but need to move the lines over, I seem unable to continue on exactly typing within the already typed area. The only way I can continue typing is to start a new text box and usually I can’t get it to line up. Is there any way to add or change text once you’ve typed and moved your typing?

10. So glad I am not the only one who is having import/own design issues. Anytime I import a design it automatically only cuts the image as a square. Didn’t have that problem with the old software. Hope it gets fixed soon.

11. christa says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

12. christa says:

I came to this blog from Lemon Tree Creations. I am excited as I read the possibilities of a Sillouette, however, I am wondering about Mac compatibility? I would still like to try some other products and use old fashioned sissors. Thanks!

13. Sasha says:

Hi Christa, the new Silhouette Studio software works on the following systems… Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Mac OS X 10.5.8 and higher.

It is now compatable with Mac.

14. Kaci says:

Traci: I have had the Silhouette SD since it came out but didn’t use it much because I had to use my husband’s PC instead of my rockin’ Mac – WELL, now that it’s on the Mac there is all this new stuff that I didn’t know about – I didn’t even know about this blog until yesterday! Any ‘beginners’ step by step of different features (basically all I know how to do is cut out one thing per page) would be sooo helpful! Not sure how many other newbies are out there. Thanks!!

15. Kaci,

Click on the Monday Tutorials they take you step by step through some of the basics.

I am so glad I took the time to read the comments, my questions have been answered and I am trying (patience isn’t my strong suit)to wait for the outline feature update. Thanks Silhouette Team.

16. lynn says:

thanks for this great tutorial!

17. Deborah says:

I’m thinking of purchasing the Silhouette, so I am happy to see this blog and the tutorials. I am very computer savvy, so should have little trouble with the software.
    I notice on the comparison page of the website that the Silhouette works only with PC. But other areas of the site indicate that it works with the Mac, which I use. Can you clear this up for me?
    Does it work as well with Mac as with PC?
    Thanks, Deborah
    glisteninthesunshine.blogspot.com

18. the find outline feature is the one I am waiting on- I too have been going back and forth between craft robo software and silhouette studio.
    I also have issues with the print and cut sometimes recognizing the registration marks and sometimes not, it’s very frustrating. The other day I loaded a print and cut job and the machine found the first registration mark and then in searching for the other spit the carrier sheet out the back of the machine.

That was really really helpful.Thanks

2 questions if you don’t mind..

When using the eraser I have to go back each time and press the button again. Is there anyway to make it so it stays continuous until I press another command? KWIM?
    Also, after I erase something it “mends” itself into an arc or polyline. How can I shut that off so I can just get rid of a line?
    Lisa (Sharpie)

21. Lynness says:

Ok- Traci- thanks for the answers above. Another question: I haven’t found a way to do rounded rectangles. Is there a way, or is it coming? Thanks again.

I very recently bought the Silhouette SD & some of the silhouette images; but I also have some Vector images. What exactly do I have to convert the Vector images to in order for them to be accepted into the CraftRobo? Can someone please give me a step-by-step or write something I can print out & follow? I would truly appreciate it.
    I would love to get started with my machine.
    Thanks so much. Diana

23. Scrapsweetie says:

This is a truly silly question, but if you cut the leaf/acorn embellishments on the same orange sheet as the card, then how did the accorns become brown? I am having a really hard time figuring out how to pick “parts” of a shape out and cut them on different papers. Is there a simple command I’m missing here?

24. Scrapsweetie: the simple command you’re looking for, I believe, is “ungroup.” It’s a button on the lower lefthand side in the Silhouette Studio software, and it’s invaluable! You can ungroup shapes and move them off the cutting area (to cut with a different color later) or just delete them.

25. Traci:
    I’d really like to see tutorials using all the different features of “modify.” I spent hours last week trying to learn what they do and for what applications I can use them, but didn’t get very far. Thank you!

26. Scrapsweetie says:

Thank you Kelly! I have been playing with it more, and it’s helping to just sit down and take time to mess with it.
    I have been bringing lots of fun little crafts for friends at work during this “process”

27. Gina says:

Thanks for the wonderful tutorials….I do have one question. On the old software I was able to change the line color. Assigning a color for each shetch pen and another color for cutting. I love this feature but just can’t figure it out of the new software. Help!!!

28. Hi there!!!
    I just buy my silouette and I don´t Know how to do my owns drawing. I ‘d like to trasfer a jpg. to silohuette but when I want tu cut de silouette the program make me an square.
    Why?

Thanks to help me.
    Iratxe

29. susies1955 says:

I’m getting the same thing. I try to cut a jpg. I select it, trace it to outline cut and it has a box around it.
    Susie

30. Hi Traci,

I know I’m inquiring long after this post was written, but I’m hoping you can help me understand the finishing technique I’ve seen a lot on the silhouette blog. In the final picture, the card (orange base) and leaves seem to have a burned effect around the edges — smudged almost. What is it / how is it that you achieve that look. I’m a new Silhouette user and just completed the heart owl printable class. The finished owl in that tutorial also has the smudged/burned effect. Thanks so much!!
    Sarah