Halloween Costume Face Tattoo

I have been receiving a lot of questions on how to make a print and cut and actually have it “print and cut”.  SoI thought it would be a good idea to teach you how, with our current contest going on.  This way you will be able to use any of the shapes from the store to work with your Halloween costumes!

This might be a redundant tutorial from others I have done, but I am in hopes that it will be thorough and understandable to get you off on the right foot and creating lots of print and cuts.

The first thing you will want to do is, import your shape from your library.  It will automatically come into your document.

Because I am making this a tattoo for a costume, I am wanting to cut it into a few pieces to allow for a nice placement.  My shape is already grouped together so I will use the knife tool and click on the first point I am wanting to cut and drag it to the end point of the cut. You will be able to click on your shape and drag the “pieces away from each other.  They will split at the knife line.

You can see in this picture that I split the butterfly in the middle and at the two sides allowing me to have 4 pieces created from the wings.

My next step is to ungroup the wing sections so that I can fill each individual piece with a color.  I used the gradient fill because it adds nice dimension to the print and cuts.

Once I am done filling in all the ungrouped pieces I will select the entire image and group together.  That way non of the little pieces will move as I resize to fit the face.  You can also resize before you start any of this process, I just like to resize once I have it just how I want it.

Now we are ready to add the registration marks.  These marks will print onto your paper allowing the sensor in the Silhouette to detect and align perfectly with the print and cut.

There is one final step you need to check before you print.  Because there are so many pieces in this shape I want to make sure that the outline of the butterfly is the only thing that gets cut.  The Silhouette automatically defaults to cut all the lines in the shape.  So you will need to click on the cut line settings and change the cut lines from “cut” to “cut edge”.  Again this will allow only the outline of the wings to be cut out. You are now ready to print your document.

Some of you may need to change your printer settings before you print.  You can do this when you click on the printer button.  It will take you to a pop-up box that will allow you to change the properties of the printer.  I chose to use the photo quality print option and I also needed to change my paper size to 8.5 x 11.  So I made all of my adjustments and then clicked print.

Now that the document is printed, place your paper on the mat (carrier sheet) at the lined markings on the mat. You will then need to “feed” your mat and printed paper into the Silhouette.  Make sure your Silhouette says “load w/ carrier”.  This will feed the mat into the Silhouette a little farther than if you were to simply “load media”.  The mat will feed into the Silhouette just above the registration marks.

You will need to click on the “detect registrations marks”.  The Silhouette will read the marks and come back to its resting place.  I like to have my cut settings at a speed of 3.  The slower setting allows the machine to have a more concise cut.

Once that is completed you can click on “cut” and watch the show. And there you have it, a custom print and cut!  Now you are ready to print and cut until your little hearts content!

22 thoughts on “Halloween Costume Face Tattoo

1. ellie g says:

Thank you!! As a person who is new to the Silhouette and the new software….this was VERY informative. Especially the stuff about the knife tool and the changing of the cut settings. Great info! Now I’m off to try it!

2. marianne-g says:

Love all the tutorials. It really helps to have step by step instructions. I would really like to have instructions on how to import my own shapes and cut them out.

3. Jamie says:

Wow.. GREAT tutorial! I wish I had known about this yesterday when I made my first print & cut without choosing “photo quality” and without knowing about “cut edge.” It still turned out great, but these features will save me lots of time next time!

4. I used the great new software today to color a fantastic cub scout uniform from the store. It all worked great until I couldn’t get my original Silhouette to cut. I simply can’t get it to read the registration marks and once it tries once it really won’t try again.

Has anyone been able to do print and cuts with the new software on the original machine???

I can still do print & cut with the Robo Master software but have to start all over and it’s really tedious to color shapes compared to the new software.

5. Eveline says:

That’s beautiful! Thanks for the clear tutorial.
    Eveline.

6. krafting kelly! I can do it!!! i have the original and before i got the new software it never worked for me!! now it works awesome!!! hope you get it figured out!!!ps. call the silhouette number. they are a super help for me when i cant figure stuff out :)

thank-you silhouette for this tutorial!!I am so excited to find out about that cut edge only option!! definitely will save me some stress :)

7. xrysa says:

Great tutorial! Is it possible to teach us how we could use the silhouette pens for paint and cut shapes on it? I bought the pens but I am afraid to use them…

8. Krafting Kelly – I, too, have the original machine. I always had trouble with the registration marks on the old software. One major improvement on this software is that it makes it easier to use scraps, so I’ve been trying to “practice” with smaller pieces of paper. One time I had a 1/2 sheet of photo paper so I adjusted the registration marks to fit on that paper. (I think I used custom media instead of print settings). I then adjusted the registration marks (figured I had nothing to loose). Like this tutorial said, I rolled the mat in until the blade was just above one of the top 2 registration marks. The machine actually searched in a more whole and efficient way and it “found” them! I was so excited!

Make sure you are using white colored paper(till it works), and try it with the top open on the machine and also with it closed. Sometimes the lighting in the room messes it up.

9. lynn says:

thanks for tutorial!

10. Thanks, girls. I may have to break down and call Silhouette for help. Ironically, my print and cut on the old software hasn’t given me any trouble (it used to) since loading the new software.

11. Laura says:

thanks for the tutorials
    How do we ask you questions besides here?
    I have been frustrated with the cutting mats
    my paper is sliding off and they are new mats

12. Traci says:

Laura contact support at support@silhouetteamerica.com they can help you with any concerns you have.

Kelly, we are also looking into way to improve your experience with the original silhouette. Will you try rolling your paper up to just above the registration marks and letting me know how it worked out for you? Thanks!

13. Ma Paperie says:

I love Silhouette! It’s definitely the best tool for a scrapbooker.
    I’m a Mac user and I waited more than a year for this new software, it’s perfect!
    Congrats.

This is a great tutorial, but I’m still wanting to know when the “import jpg” and “get outline” part of the software is coming out? I sooooo miss it (well, I can still use it in the Robocraft software, but I really want to use it in the Silhouette Studio!!)!
    My main use of the silhouette is to design cards with my PSE, then transfer the images to the silhouette for cutting.
    Oh please, please hurry!! :o)

15. Ah, success! That was just the ticket: position my blade just outside the registration mark instead of just inside. Perfect! I’m so excited to be able to use all the print and cut features now. Thank you, Traci!

16. Nina says:

I’ve very new to this. Can I ask what type of paper/material you used for your daughter’s tattoo? I’m working on a halloween costume and I was thinking I could use this for text and somehow stick it to my t-shirt? thanks!!

17. Melody says:

I would love to buy the butterfly shape that you have used but cannot find it in the store or on my software. Will you please direct me to it? Thank you.

18. Stacey says:

I’m on a Mac using the new software. When I send my custom print and cut design to print the registration marks do not print. Any idea what the problem is? Thanks!

19. Whitney says:

What kind of printer do you recommend for this project?

20. tonaz says:

@ stacey:
    solved. be sure that the jpg image does NOT go over the marks……

21. Ellen says: