Silhouette Studio!!!

Well here we are, finally!!!  I am super excited to introduce the new software to you.  It will change the way you use your silhouette!  This software gives you the ability to take more creative liberties and quickly get your project done, start to finish.  You now have more ease in finding shapes, organizing and keeping your library up to date and relevant to your needs.

I just want to point out some amazing features and maybe some things that we all love and couldn’t wait to use.  Yes we too have been soooo ready for the new software.  I’ll be honest I have been skeptical about changing.  I have really gotten into my groove with the robo master software, but I am excited for all the amazing possibilities Silhouette Studio is going to allow me to create.

Lets jump right in:

First things first, when you open the software, your default document starts with an 8.5×11 page placed on your carrier sheet.  On the right panel you will see the option to change the document sizing.

If your page is larger than the actual carrier sheet, the “mat image” goes away showing you that your document size will no longer fit only on the mat.

Also the “mat image” goes away when you navigate away from the page panel and move on to other options.  When you return to the Page panel you can see the mat again. You may want to see the mat always, in this case under the File menu select “Preferences” and then under defaults you can select the option to show carrier sheet always.

The most amazing part of this feature is the ability to see exactly where your image will be cut on the mat.  Lets say, I want to cut out a heart and I have a favorite piece of scrap paper that I want to cut it from.  This software now allows you to do this.  Slide the “reveal carrier sheet” button all the way to the right and you can see where to place your paper. Make sure you load the Silhouette with the “Load w/Carrier” setting.  AGGGHHH…this is AMAZING!!!  I am cutting a 1.75″ heart from a 2×2 scrap of paper. Like I said amazing!

Another new feature you may have noticed is the addition of a dimension box around each shape.  It allows you to know exactly the shape size and re-size without searching for the dimensions.

There are so many exciting features:

* Unlimited undo (YAY!)
* Eraser tool
* Knife tool
* Freehand Drawing tool
* Double Cut Button (for thicker media)
* Fill shapes with patterns
* Text Wrap
* Enhanced Welding
* Tons of a Advanced Options (just start clicking around and check it all out)

Another important thing to mention is the ability to import all you shapes from the robo master software into the new software.  You can do this by clicking on the File menu and selecting “Import ROBO Master Library”.  All your files instantly load into your new library.

Speaking of the Library, this new software allows you to search just like the online store.  If you are looking for a flower, anything with the word flower as part of the name or description will come up. You can also receive the same info on a shape by clicking on it and it will pull up any instructions descriptions etc…you see when purchasing the shape from the online store.  Categorize your shapes, rename them, delete them, just about anything you have been dreaming.

So this is not an amazing cutting feature, but it makes using the software fun!  You have the ability to change the background color and customize it to your taste.  So fun right?

There are so many great NEW and reinvented functions the new software has. Play around with it become more familiar with its setup.  There is a manual available in the software and can be found in the Help menu.  This should be able to answer any questions you may have, but for more tutorials, check back here every Monday and learn how to use your new software to its fullest potential!  Have a great weekend!

131 thoughts on “Silhouette Studio!!!

1. shirley says:

How awesome to be able to have such detailed tutorials! Very helpful for a newbie. I was introduced to Silhouette via Prudent Baby’s blog. Thanks for all the great info!

2. RedRedReeves says:

I am so impressed with this machine. I have a competitor machine and it is no competition at all. Prudent baby sent me and I’m so glad that she did. I can’t believe that you can use that tiny scrap of paper! Wowee wow wow!

3. Carol says:

of all the great great new features, I think I am going to adore knowing exactly where to place my paper best of all.

4. Barbara says:

I have the original Silhouette, and upgraded my software yesterday. The new software looks very interesting, but I can’t import all of my library…am I the only one who has downloaded every image because I have unlimited purchasing? Anyway, I hope to find a resolution to this very soon. I also would like to cut 8×8 or 8x 12.

5. Lisa Mala6 says:

Love the new software… I have the old silhouette and want to know about the mat you show in the tut? Will they work in the old one or not???? Also why does it seem to take so long to cut with the new program if you add text to it??

6. B : ) says:

Thanks to whomever let me know I can use the new software on the old machine. Now I still am having a problem with getting my library moved over. The button provided only did 50. I went to My Account and I wound up with something like 176, but I’m still missing quite a bit – I have over 200. Has anyone found the way???

7. Becky says:

I haven’t cut yet with the new software, but I have to say, just looking at it, it looks AMAZING! I’m already loving it so much more than ROBO master (which I truly did detest). I can’t wait to play around with it some more!

I also had the unlimited download and have just about every shape. It did work for me to import it, but it took almost all night (and kind of seemed to freeze up at the end, but I think it got them all). I might have to double check on that one I guess…

I’ve also found that they didn’t show up until I went to Preferences>Advanced>Reindex my Library. Then they showed up! HTH others!

8. Pam Burrus says:

I am placing images within the red boundary lines and they are getting cut off. When I click to “reveal the carrier sheet” I see the dark area I guess where it’s going to cut – but I want the red area to be my “safe” zone so I don’t have to keep revealing the carrier. What’s going on?? Do I have a setting wrong?

9. Hiya – Loving the new software – just one question, how do i save a project as a gsd file? I seem to be only getting the option for studio – any help will be greatly appreciated xx

Is there any way we can back up our files like we did on RM? I have looked and looked but cannot fine a way.
    JO

11. Sarah says:

I am a Silhouette SD newbie and love it already! The new software is very cool!
    A few questions though on 2 of the new tools. Is there a way to make the knife cut a wider section? And can we determine the “size” of the area the eraser erases?

LOVE this machine!! Thanks for the help!!

12. Jennifer says:

I hate the new software. The manual is not helpful at all, the program keeps crashing when I try to use an image purchased from Silhouette, and I can’t figure out how to specify the size of my rectangle when I draw it. Very frustrated and would appreciate any help. I know exactly what I want to create yet it seems impossible with the software. I am willing to admit it’s at least partially (if not all) I-D-10-T syndrome, LOL, but I need help, please.

There seems to be two types of Silhouette users; people who buy designs, and people who make designs. The people who buy designs are giddy, but then what is so creative and hard about buying a pre-made design. The people who design their own are just if frustrated if not more by this companies s…l…o….w development of behind the times software. It if took my company years to “catch up” to those space age Macs and then leave out the import dxf feature, we would all be fired and the company would go under. It is difficult to understand why a software upgrade is launched without a feature that was in a previous version and is a basic and simple function. I’m happy for all the people that are happy, but the company markets this as a design accessory and maybe by 2020, the company will actual live up to the claim. My guess is that once you plunk down the cash for the machine the company figures they owe you nothing and their time is better spent courting prospective customers. It’s shameful.

14. Marion says:

Only discovered the new software a few minutes ago but, if it is as good and effective as users suggest, I just know I’m going to love it big-time.

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial and, of course, to Silhouette for their great gift to Craft Robo owners.

Cheers!
    Marion
    UK

15. Dawn says:

I see lots of posts from people who couldn’t import the shapes from the ROBO software, but no resolution! I am having the same problem. I only have 50 shapes in the new SW. How can I import my old ones without having to resort to a Recover All at the store?

16. Amy says:

Donna said…”Am I the only one having a problem with the new software? I downloaded it fine, imported my library fine. My problem is when I open the cut files. I double click on my cut file and nothing shows up in my workspace.”

You are not the only one Donna. I am having the exact same problem. I can’t even open the cut files that came with my Silhouette.

Can ANYONE help??

It is now Nov 29. Any sign yet of the promised auto-trace?

OK. Just downloaded the latest version 1.3.0 and it has the auto-trace feature. Now I’m happy. Thank you.

19. Debra says:

New Silhouette user here. Can anyone please explain the TRACE feature, or point me in the direction of a good tutorial. It seems that it was a big add on the part of silhouette to the new software and the manual is EXTREMELY poor in explaining this feature in depth as they went ahead and took away the get outline feature that was in the RObo software. Please help… I have a monogram that I made in a jpeg format to be able to put it in the program and do a print and cut but I can’t seem to get the outlines right.

To all those who are frustrated as I am about not being able to use files I created myself in the new software, I notified support and they are asking for more examples of files to help them work out the kinks. I showed them an example of an original file of mine which renders perfectly fine in RoboMaster but has broken paths in Silhouette Studio. I mentioned others had this problem too and they suggested more people do the same. You can e-mail them at support@silhouetteamerica.com with your own examples. If enough people let them know of the problem, maybe they can find a solution for us!

21. I have a question… On the program, where does the silhouette cut? Is it anywhere inbetween the red lines? Im not sure how far to the edges I can place things. I dont want to place them too far over so they dont get cut. So I wasnt sure if the red lines serve as the border or not.

22. Jamie says:

I am having the issue where I can get everything to import, or download and then when I close and restart the software, everything is gone!

1. Cendrine says:

Hi Jamie! Did yoi solve your problem? I have the same issue with all my designs that disappeared when I close and re-open the software….

23. landizzle55 says:

Been playing with the program for a few days, but i can’t figure out how to ‘kern’ text. Any ideas? I’ve been searching all day for an answer… =(

24. bflor12 says:

i just got this machine and i did what you posted and i still cant see the paper to exactly see where my image will be cut :(

Reading the last comment I’ll give it another try tonight. Yesterday the design was beautifully visible in Studio and it let me know it had cut successfully – except the Cameo didn’t make a move at all. Well, thanks for letting me know, Studio! :-p

26. Marianne says:

Since i have downloaded this latest version, the cutting doesn’t work anymore on my craft robo. It does send the job to the cutting machine, but it doesn’t cut…. With the older version, it worked perfectly. Do you have the older version for me again, so i can use that again?
    I miss the cutting already!!!

Hi Marianne, send a quick email over to customer support at support@silhouetteamerica.com they are happy to help :)

27. Chrissy L says:

Hi, I got a new laptop and had the Deluxe version on my old laptop.. how do I get that back on my new one? Please tell me I don’t have to purchase the $50 dollar software again??? Please advise!!

Hi Chrissy,

Customer support would be happy to walk you through that. You may email them at support@silhouetteamerica.com.